Speed control Question (Ford Rep Please Advise)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 4500 lb boat about 1500 miles every year with my 2011 Expedition. Truck tows great. I have noticed the following. I usually drive by foot using the customary Tow/Haul feature. If I want to rest my leg and use speed control for a while, when I engage it the transmission instantly upshifts to the next higher gear feeling like it has disengaged the Tow/Haul mode even when the dash says Tow/Haul is still active. It does not really create any problem, I just do not want to over heat the transmission by being in too high of a gear.

Any one have any thoughts or experience with this?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow/Haul does not inhibit the higher gears. It delays shifting longer. In the old days, towing mode was achieved by turning off O/D. Its a bit different today. I don't know why your tranny stays in a lower gear until you turn on cruise control. It should go into the highest gear, then lock the TC (which can feel like a shift sometimes) as long as you are in "Drive".

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow/Haul does not inhibit the higher gears. It delays shifting longer. In the old days, towing mode was achieved by turning off O/D. Its a bit different today. I don't know why your tranny stays in a lower gear until you turn on cruise control. It should go into the highest gear, then lock the TC (which can feel like a shift sometimes) as long as you are in "Drive".

Interesting - I was under the impression that in Tow/Haul, that under towing load the trans would remain in the lower gear for more pulling torque. Maybe I am wrong on that. But it does seem strange that when towing it only goes into overdrive when speed control is activated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a trans temp gauge you may want to monitor it while in od to see if it rises to an unacceptable reading.