Speed Limit on Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

My wife never uses the Nav in her current vehicle but loves the HUD with the speed limit indicator. She averages 80 miles per day of around town driving and while her phone is her main Nav when needed, the speed limit indicator is always there as a healthy reminder.

I, like most of you, had completely written off in-car Nav systems...until I got my Tesla. Oh man...it's fantastic. Live Google Maps on the big screen. Amazing voice control. Integrated with the calendar on my phone. My daughter's Middle School changed names this year (it was previously the high school) and sure enough on the first day of school I used voice commands to navigate to it, and Google already had the updated listing. Real time. No annual updates. No highway robbery fee. I literally use my in-car Nav for virtually EVERY trip I take in my Tesla. The real time Google traffic data has saved me more times than I can count.

But back to Ford... ;)

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The last time I shopped Ford was in 2014 when my wife got rear-ended and needed a new car ASAP. I seem to recall the Sync system didn't actually have its own navigation, but it used the nav from your phone. We tried it out at the dealership in an Escape. I can't remember really how it worked but I remember strongly disliking the system. I also remember thinking at the time that a built-in nav was way more reliable and easy to use.

Fast forward 3 years and now I barely use the built-in navigation in my car, preferring to use Google Maps with the audio coming through Bluetooth. Funny how your attitude can change so quickly.

Maybe this concept would work better now with Carplay and Android Auto. Although from my limited reading up on Android Auto it still seems like beta software.
The way it worked with my 2012 sync system, essentially there was no nav in the vehicle, but it actually called into the sync servers somewhere and just gave you voice turn by turn directions. So there was no map in the vehicle and you had to have your phone as it used the phone to make a call. It was an odd solution but it actually worked really well, and because the data was not in your vehicle, it was always up to date. I liked it a lot.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s what it looks like when you pick the option to display the speed limit in the instrument cluster. a7f5061b95c17c9109e93ebe6f315225.jpg

To get it there:
1) set a route with the native nav system (sync, not CarPlay)
2) select “navigation/compass” on the instrument cluster

If you don’t have a route set you’ll just get a big compass on that screen.

I was down on the sync nav system and was really excited about CarPlay, but I have to say, I am really impressed with what Ford has put together. When you have a route set it displays a picture of your freeway exits and merges on the big screen in the center stack. Yes, it’s a computer generated picture, but it’s surprisingly accurate.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The right way to do it is the way land rover does it: use the forward facing camera (the one for the 360 degree view) and image recognition software to simply look for speed limit signs... It's not like it's all that difficult to look for big white boxes with known text sizes and fonts...

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I, like most of you, had completely written off in-car Nav systems...until I got my Tesla. Oh man...it's fantastic. Live Google Maps on the big screen. Amazing voice control. Integrated with the calendar on my phone. My daughter's Middle School changed names this year (it was previously the high school) and sure enough on the first day of school I used voice commands to navigate to it, and Google already had the updated listing. Real time. No annual updates. No highway robbery fee. I literally use my in-car Nav for virtually EVERY trip I take in my Tesla. The real time Google traffic data has saved me more times than I can count.
This is exactly why we didn't check the nav box and will simply use CarPlay/Android Auto. Google provides real time updates based on your planned routes and the users in front of you. So when headed south on I-5, if there's an accident on the ship canal bridge, google will pick up on that and re-direct you to Aurora/99S. And when that backs up, it'll dump you out on the backstreets to the Av and down through eastlake. Systems without an internet connection *and* a giant user base will always be inferior.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s what it looks like when you pick the option to display the speed limit in the instrument cluster. a7f5061b95c17c9109e93ebe6f315225.jpg

To get it there:
1) set a route with the native nav system (sync, not CarPlay)
2) select “navigation/compass” on the instrument cluster

If you don’t have a route set you’ll just get a big compass on that screen.

I was down on the sync nav system and was really excited about CarPlay, but I have to say, I am really impressed with what Ford has put together. When you have a route set it displays a picture of your freeway exits and merges on the big screen in the center stack. Yes, it’s a computer generated picture, but it’s surprisingly accurate.
Yes we have figured all the above out. I will say, I wish it was different. On my 16, the speed limit signs were ALWAYS displayed in center of the speedometer. I also preferred the way there was 4 choices to display in the center info display on the dash. Audio, phone, HVAC, or nav.

Now there is a lot of choices to display but you cannot get audio info up there. If you are navigating on the main screen it was nice to have audio on the little info display. What song or artist etc.

That being said, I can’t tell you guys how much we love this truck.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. I wish it was like the Navigator, where the speed limit always shows and you don't have to set routes.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is Waze actually working now for car play? I’ve heard it was going to be a stand-alone car app and not car play required... I don’t remember where I read that at though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire