SSV console wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nibsey

Reaction score
hi all, I just purchased an expedition that had a previous life as an emergency service vehicle.

I’m planning to remove the metal center console (which contains the light controllers, emergency radio, etc) and replace it with something more mainstream.

My question is this... Can I simply cut out all the wiring that runs from the bottom of the dash that connects to these radios, etc? The connections to the control boxes have already been cut and they have been removed. I’m just left with a tangle of wires in the console “shell” that is like to remove (including some that appear to be connected to s grounding bolt).

How did you go about cleaning up this wiring when removing your SSV console? Any advice is appreciated.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The console you describe is an aftermarket product, with leftover wiring from whatever aftermarket electronics were mounted.

Standard SSVs dont have consoles. Just a small hump from some electronics box in the middle on an otherwise flat surface with vinyl floor covering.

And a rather flimsy slideout dual cupholder rig under the stereo and climate controls.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS that thing might be worth good money, try putting it on ebay.

I know the gun cabinets and such that some deparments install in the back can easily be the most expensive thing on the vehicle, retailing for thousands new.

OP
OP
N

Nibsey

Reaction score
So can I simply just cut out the wires and tear out the console with no otherwise adverse effect?

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
Essentially. I did the same thing on my '07 SSV. All wires/patches/equipment/antennas/fuse boxes/whatever that didn't belong went out. I literally gutted the truck. Took out all moldings, all plastic side panels inside, seats, vinyl covering. Did not take out headliner. That's a project for the summer.
Essentially I stripped it to bare metal floor and whatever was not taped together or did not look factory went to the trash bin. Don't be afraid, honestly, I had never done anything that intensive before, in fact the most I've done to my cars in the past was oil change, stereo installation and tonneau cover replacement for my now departed Saab 93 convertible. When I bought the Expy I knew it was going to be a project. So go nuts, you will know if it doesn't belong. Yank on a loose wire. If no resistance on the other end, it's cut and not factory. If you see a bundle that has been zip tied, that's a goner too. Anything factory will most likely be a dual color wire, bundled and taped together.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Essentially. I did the same thing on my '07 SSV. All wires/patches/equipment/antennas/fuse boxes/whatever that didn't belong went out. I literally gutted the truck. Took out all moldings, all plastic side panels inside, seats, vinyl covering. Did not take out headliner. That's a project for the summer.
Essentially I stripped it to bare metal floor and whatever was not taped together or did not look factory went to the trash bin. Don't be afraid, honestly, I had never done anything that intensive before, in fact the most I've done to my cars in the past was oil change, stereo installation and tonneau cover replacement for my now departed Saab 93 convertible. When I bought the Expy I knew it was going to be a project. So go nuts, you will know if it doesn't belong. Yank on a loose wire. If no resistance on the other end, it's cut and not factory. If you see a bundle that has been zip tied, that's a goner too. Anything factory will most likely be a dual color wire, bundled and taped together.

Except the hump on the floor between the front seats. That's factory.

Btw, headliner isnt much of a project. Installs in minutes.

Canuckid

Reaction score
I have a 2015 expedition ssv. Bought a console out of a wreck. Fit perfectly under the cup holder. Think mine came out of an 08 xlt. Colour match was quite close as well.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 expedition ssv. Bought a console out of a wreck. Fit perfectly under the cup holder. Think mine came out of an 08 xlt. Colour match was quite close as well.

Wow, thats quite new, how'd you get something that recent? Or is it your work vehicle?

Can we have some pics? Curious about the front, as I understand it 15-17 SSVs have an unusual front end that has the updated grille and headlamps but the old style round fogs?

Canuckid

Reaction score
Bought it 1 year old real cheap. Was supposed to be used for a lease company in the oil patch. Then the oil prices dropped, sold about 10 of these. Just put in some new shoes on her at Christmas. Put Ina Jen wood deck as well. Am/fm was a little old school. I also custom appled fender flares from the front axel of a fx4. Ties in the black trim. plasti dipped the ford emblem.

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought it 1 year old real cheap. Was supposed to be used for a lease company in the oil patch. Then the oil prices dropped, sold about 10 of these. Just put in some new shoes on her at Christmas. Put Ina Jen wood deck as well. Am/fm was a little old school. I also custom appled fender flares from the front axel of a fx4. Ties in the black trim. plasti dipped the ford emblem.

View attachment 22944

View attachment 22945

Wow, cool truck! How much did it cost you??

So the black over the wheels is aftermarket, but the rest along the bottom is factory black?

Running boards stock or aftermarket? Two seating rows or three?

Also curious, is the dash cluster old style green lights or the newer blueish design?