Startup Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've also heard weird occasional stories about Amsoil. They were one of the original synthetics back in the 1970's. It's funny you mentioned oil consumption with synthetic, I run regular Mobil 1 in my 2000 5.4 and go through quite a bit. My motors only 97k and doesn't smoke, so I just deal with it. As far as weight's, 5w30 is the heaviest you should go with. Whatever is in your owners book, and as we've said time and again keep it clean, no more than 6k between changes. Oil and filter changes are less than $50.00 pretty cheap insurance compared to buying a motor!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
What oil filter are you running? Switch over to a Motorcraft filter as soon as you can that often rectifies the startup rattle. Junky oil (FRAM!!) filters upset these engines on startup because their lack of or useless anti drainback valves let all that oil back down and your starting with little ready oil. This causes the timing chain tensioners to relax and on startup the chain rattles until pressure builds and they tension it properly. Couldn’t access the file on my phone. BTW these are Overhead Cam engines no hydrolic lifters.
This was my problem. Shop put crappy oil filter on, guess its my fault. Glad it's better now.