Stereo doesn't fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pavaojc

Reaction score
I have a 2000 4X4 XLT with the "Premium" sound system, whatever that is. I ordered a refurbished radio/CD/cassette off eBay because the stock had no CD and no CD changer, only the cassette.

I took out the original stereo and thought "that's weird, it's shaped like a wedge". (It's about half as tall at the back where you put the wires as at the front that has the buttons.) Hooked up the new one and tested it, worked perfect. Went to push it in... and it only goes in half way because it's a brick not a wedge. The plastic "chute" it goes into in the dash angles down from front to back at the top like the top of the original radio does.

I did a lot of looking before buying and never saw ONE that looked like a wedge. So it never dawned on me to take mine out and look at it before buying. How do I get a OE style replacement for this thing? Is there a name for this style?

If I was a little gutsier than I'm feeling at the moment and had the right tools, it looks like maybe I could cut the top of the plastic out of the dash, but I really don't fee comfortable trying to do that...

Any advice? Thanks!

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just cut some stuff out with a dremal

OP
OP
pavaojc

pavaojc

Reaction score
Great, thanks! It won't weaken anything and cause problems, right?

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to cut mine up for a double din tv and I hadamore problems trying to get all the wires tucked away

OP
OP
pavaojc

pavaojc

Reaction score
There weren't really a lot of wires for me to deal with. There was the 4WD harness, the antenna, the two radio harnesses and that was it. The only other one was an add-on to the radio itself. See in the top right of the power outlet opening at the bottom left the little black thing sticking out? The guy who restored the stereo added in an aux input and that's the jack.

You had more wires? Fortunately for me, there was nothing at all above the plastic enclosure piece I cut out. Here's what I cut out. The top in the picture was closest to the dash opening.

WP_000547.jpg

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will post a picture in my album of all my wires I had 2 harness wires , antenna, usb, navi, bluetooth, and ipod