Sticky situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Somehow some sort of sticky drink got splashed across the center console of my 19' Max Plat. I don't know how, I don't drink sticky drinks. But, I digress. My turn dial shifter, that use to click so smoothly. Is now, sticky. What can I do to return it too it's smooth operation? I cleaned off the surface but the sticky, what ever it was found its way inside.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be careful what you put inside.

I can't guarantee this will work, but I've used it on sensitive electronics and had positive results.

WD-40 Contact Cleaner

Z1sGqwqcpEx-.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery and saturate it with electronics cleaner. Give it 30 min to dry, reconnect battery and see if it's improved. Worst case, it harms nothing.

2013Tuxedo

Reaction score
Be careful what you put inside.

I can't guarantee this will work, but I've used it on sensitive electronics and had positive results.

WD-40 Contact Cleaner
This or Deoxit D5 or CRC QD Electronics Cleaner should all work and should leave no residue, you may want to tape off the area around the shifter though just in case. IMPORTANTLY, these won't magically "clean" the gunk out of your shifter, they will just move it to where it should be less of an issue. To actually clean it you'd need to disassemble the shifter and get under the dial, I would think.