Synch 3 Wifi update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Several people have done it successfully on Mustangs and 150’s that I have read. I checked out the scripting, and the coding looks solid! Give it a try.

You guys ROCK!! :party33:

This here knucklehead followed the instructions LokiWolf listed earlier in this thread (post #176) and over on the Mustang/150's forums threads, with two minor modifications, and this afternoon I successfully updated my vers 2.2 non-nav Sync3 Expy Limited to vers 3.0. And I didn't "brick" it in the process of updating. Yay!

The only two modifications I made were: I used two USB thumb drives instead of one used twice (I used one USB drive for the prelim "fix" files, and then the second for the plain-vanilla vers 3.0 update files), plus I used the zip file found in the Mustang forum at

http://media.4rev4.com/wp-content/uploads/Sync3-MEM_ERR03-Fix.zip

instead of creating my own first-step edited "fix" files as described in the beginning of post #176. (I'm too much of an idiot to edit together the lines of code without goofing up something).

So I unzipped the downloaded file (at the link above), and wrote those files to my USB thumb drive #1, and kept the previously downloaded/unzipped vers 3.0 files from the owner.ford.com update procedure on my USB thumb drive #2.

Otherwise, I followed the steps in post #176.

Now after all this, upon reflection,... Did I really "need" to update my Sync3 from vers 2.2 to vers 3.0? Of course not. But I just "had" to do it since I was never successful updating from vers 2.2 to vers 2.3. :driver: I couldn't help myself.

Again, thanks to everybody here for the great info. I just don't think I could've waited for Ford to figure it out on their own,... if they ever do. Cheers!

...Karl

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys ROCK!! :party33:

This here knucklehead followed the instructions LokiWolf listed earlier in this thread (post #176) and over on the Mustang/150's forums threads, with two minor modifications, and this afternoon I successfully updated my vers 2.2 non-nav Sync3 Expy Limited to vers 3.0. And I didn't "brick" it in the process of updating. Yay!

The only two modifications I made were: I used two USB thumb drives instead of one used twice (I used one USB drive for the prelim "fix" files, and then the second for the plain-vanilla vers 3.0 update files), plus I used the zip file found in the Mustang forum at

http://media.4rev4.com/wp-content/uploads/Sync3-MEM_ERR03-Fix.zip

instead of creating my own first-step edited "fix" files as described in the beginning of post #176. (I'm too much of an idiot to edit together the lines of code without goofing up something).

So I unzipped the downloaded file (at the link above), and wrote those files to my USB thumb drive #1, and kept the previously downloaded/unzipped vers 3.0 files from the owner.ford.com update procedure on my USB thumb drive #2.

Otherwise, I followed the steps in post #176.

Now after all this, upon reflection,... Did I really "need" to update my Sync3 from vers 2.2 to vers 3.0? Of course not. But I just "had" to do it since I was never successful updating from vers 2.2 to vers 2.3. :driver: I couldn't help myself.

Again, thanks to everybody here for the great info. I just don't think I could've waited for Ford to figure it out on their own,... if they ever do. Cheers!

...Karl

Nice! Glad we could help! Good idea on 2 drives. Easier prep.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have installed the 3.0 update. Did not have as easy beginning as I had previously.
The vehicle took what I thought was a long time to recognize or indicate the install was beginning.....about 4 or so minutes?

Before anyone asks about my flashdrive I 'had' reformatted it to the exFAT....why I don't know but did. On my previous install I had the FAT32 and it worked fine. But thought I would do that since the previous posts seem to indicate it should be done???? Anyway.....the vehicle NEVER recognized the flash drive with it as exFAT. So I formatted it back to FAT32. After the 4 or so minutes the download/install began.

I did not start the vehicle, as I did not last time either. Just did the double press of the start button...and turned off everything.
The install only took about 20 or so minutes. The 'complete' message came up and the indication to take out the flash drive and that everything would be as it should at the next start up. And it did/was.
As with others, I did not get a .xml file either. So, I guess FORD will have to wait for my vehicle to send the message it was done???
As far as I can tell everything is as it was? Favorites still were there. Not sure about the phone since I don't use it much, if at all, with Syn3.

As others have noted, I too will be interested if the 'maps' will be updated. On another vehicle I had, not a Ford, one had to pay for the updates for a map. And, it was not inexpensive.....$175 plus installation.....

I've never done the 'Hard Reboot' some have mentioned. Since I seem to have had no problems I'm wondering if I should even think about this????

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Long-outdated maps is my chief gripe with the Ford system. My Garmins (plural) get their maps routinely updated every few months, my 2017 truck is using what looks like 2015 maps.

I've been running the Gamin on the dash along with the Ford system. When they disagree I take the Garmin's route as the Ford comes up with some strange routes at times. The Ford predicted arrival times are always several minutes later than the Garmin's as well.

Gotta get Forscan out again as since the update to Sych 3.0 the buttons are locked out on the nav system buttons when the truck is moving. Geez, Ford, use a lawyer-generated warning that "using this while driving and crashing ain't our fault" and allowing us to Agree. :) Voice recognition of either device is a source of entertainment for us.

-- Chuck

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck s I agree with your comments on Garmin being far far ahead of Ford on map updates!! My old old Garmin consistently delivers better, quicker routes than Ford, especially around Charlotte, NC where our grown children live (North end of town, many new interstate connections, new roads in general). Following Ford's recommendations would have me driving all the old country roads. Given this whole lack of Ford technical resources in maps and sync updating difficulties one has to question how on earth they could even think about self driving cars.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm still curious about the decision making of self-driving vehicles especially when presented with the choice of running over a child or an orange barrel or cardboard box in the road.

In Germany this is not a problem if the child isn't in a crosswalk. :(

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chuck s I agree with your comments on Garmin being far far ahead of Ford on map updates!! My old old Garmin consistently delivers better, quicker routes than Ford, especially around Charlotte, NC where our grown children live (North end of town, many new interstate connections, new roads in general). Following Ford's recommendations would have me driving all the old country roads. Given this whole lack of Ford technical resources in maps and sync updating difficulties one has to question how on earth they could even think about self driving cars.

Sync 3 is actually one of the Better Auto AV systems out there. Used the Chevy system? It is terrible!

Ford now offers Map updates for a cost from the Parts department. It is coded to your Radios Serial number. Haven’t gotten a hold of one yet to see if I can crack it.

The issue is that the updates are large. That inherently makes it harder to distribute.

With all the other options for live data Nav because of CarPlay and Android Auto the built in is FAR less of an issue for most people.

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings teammates,

When it was available, I updated v2.2 to v2.3 using an USB--I had no issues with the update. But, like a dummy (and don't ask me why), once I used the USB, I deleted the file from the USB. I never went back online to "confirm" the update. So, when I attempted "confirm" my update (v2.3) today to I can download v3, the website asked me to insert the USB I used before and select the updated file. Well, like I said, I deleted the file and I can't recover it. What now? Can I recover the file from the Expedition? Attempt to download again from website? I am clueless here. I have a 2017 Expedition King Ranch...thanks.