Thermostat vs. ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the fan setting for using a lower temp thermostat, say a 180?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only way would be to look into a programmer... maybe a "canned" tuned one or might have to look into a "custom" tuned programmer... I know I can adjust alot with my edge but don't know about that never looked into it

OP
OP
R

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
I already have a Hypertech Power Programmer but on the Expedition (at least in 2005) the feature to change the fan setting is not available... grrrrrrrr.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might have to contact a custom tuning shop like PHP....
check out f150online.com they have a lot of info on programmers/tuners

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because we have mechanical fans. The fan settings are for cars with electric fans (like the Mustangs).

Granted, I know some of the mechanical fans have a wire to engage, but not sure what triggers it (AC or temp?). For my 03, there is not wire. The clutch is purely engaged by temp.

Besides, I've always heard these engines operate better at the 200 degree mark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
It's because we have mechanical fans. The fan settings are for cars with electric fans (like the Mustangs).

Granted, I know some of the mechanical fans have a wire to engage, but not sure what triggers it (AC or temp?). For my 03, there is not wire. The clutch is purely engaged by temp.

Besides, I've always heard these engines operate better at the 200 degree mark.

Hmmm... sounds like I have some more homework to do... If its mechanical, what turns it on, meaning where is the temp sensed?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fluid/material within the clutch hardens/stiffens as the temp climbs, so it will be at full lock when the engine is hot. Granted, it's not like it ever really free wheels, which kind of sucks. That is the reason why e-fans provide gains in these vehicles.