Thinking about buying a 2017 Expedition XLT, Any Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

centralflford

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. My wife and I are considering buying a new 2017 Ford Expedition XLT in Ingot Silver with black interior. The vehicle is listed as GVWR: 7,260 lbs Payload Package.

We are considering this against a 2017 Honda Odyssey (hate the new pilot) while the odyssey would get better fuel economy and haul the same amount of people, I'd be able to tow/haul things when needed in the forth coming years and consider the expedition to be a safer family vehicle due the increased weight and overall heft/bulk of the vehicle.

While I don't have anything to tow as of now, one day I plan on buying a boat. Also, I would imagine the Expedition would have a higher resale value (SUV's are outsold to mini-vans 4 to 1) and seems to be a wiser investment due to utilitarian nature of a full size SUV.

So what do you think? would you consider a 2017 XLT for 40K to be a good investment and a safe family hauler? Compared to the Honda Pilot (3.5 L) would it be much worse in terms of fuel economy? Would this be a reasonable daily driver with kids?

I've already been approved through my bank. Check is being mailed out Monday..before I finalize this thing Thursday/Friday I'd like to hear any input on those that have bought the twin turbo 3.5 XLT.

*We are buying this to replace the 2015 Honda Pilot..which was totaled with my wife driving and kids in the car during a head on collision. No one was to seriously hurt..and i'm sure that was due to being in an SUV...should it have been in my Accord..I think things might have turned out differently. While I'm certainly willing to spend a little extra in gas for the added safety, I'd like to make sure the expedition does do a decent job in terms of gas mileage.*

Pics of my totaled 2015 Honda that collided with a 2000 Expedition are attached.

Thanks in advance,

-Travis

20170606_172546.jpg

20170606_172551.jpg

20170606_172608.jpg

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both would be great vehicles, but if your needs are being met woth both vehicles, you would want to get whats easier on your wallet and what your heart leans to. I myself dont like the design of minivans but they are very useful and have pioneered many family features(which is why im waiting for the 18my, itll be the first full sized suv to adopt those features), but both are very family friendly and comfortable vehicles. If you plan on towing and hauling, def look at the el(im debating this decision) aldo, in the minivans defense, your gas bill will be much less lol

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't!!!

Save a ton of money and buy a used, fully loaded leather and all the goodies trim '15 with 30-50k mi on it.... OR wait for the 2018 model.

But definitely do NOT get the base model barebones equipped & final model year for the generation.

Its resale value will plunge an extra 50% or more the moment the '18s hit the lot.... it'll be a badly equipped OLD truck by the time it's 4 months old.

You'll drive it off the lot for MSRP 47k minus whatever discounts you manage --- and you'd be lucky to get 15 for it by the end of the year, should you choose or need to sell it.

PS if even that. The cheapest XLT is a 2wd version w/o tow package, so it's got no appeal whatsoever to the F150-driving redneck who needs a 3rd row for his kids...making it a fairly expensive truck with no features that particularly appeal to anybody. And once you start adding 4wd etc, the price bumps quickly negate the savings of the base version.

Seriously. Get a loaded used 2yo King Ranch version instead, or one of the other higher trims. It's already taken the depreciation hit and comes with all the goodies, meaning it will still have and hold value

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't listen to this tool above. You'll soon figure out that every post he makes on here is complete nonsense ("does the radio being on affect my gas mileage" that's a real gem of a thread) and he knows nothing of what he says. He seems to be worried about every single persons finances and tries relentlessly to talk them out of buying a 17 model while he rides around in a pos 09 and is so broke he's trying to figure out how much gas he is burning up while idling. So do yourself a favor and ignore him or should I say don't feed the troll

The 3.5 and the 17 model is a great truck and family hauler and I think you'd be happy with it. If you plan to tow make sure you get the HD tow package. It'll make life a lot easier. At $40k it's a good buy. And don't worry by the end of the year it'll still be worth way more then $15k. Good luck with whatever you decide

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want good resale, get a Tahoe. My '15 was 60k out the door and I'll be lucky to get 30k for it as used ones similarly equipped in my area are selling for around 35k. I actually tired to convince my wife to get the Odyssey, as at the end of the day that would have made more sense for us, but she is stubborn and had to have the expy. It is a fine truck, but we'll never use it to it's full potential. And of course now she wants to down size, and I'm stuck with a 45k loan on vehicle that isn't worth no where near that, but I told her she is stuck with it at least until we can break even on it. At the end of the day it's your choice on what you want to do, but if I were you I would take a look at some low mileage used ones.

Edit: As for fuel mileage..Ours is a EL limited 4x2 and it averages 18-20, mainly low speed country road driving. On the longer trips loaded out with gear and people it'll get a little worse, 16-18, but that's with an average speed of 85mph.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Woah, theres some hostility in here lol. If you hadnt done so, def shop around if you have the time so u get what you want. With the two choices you are interested though, you would be happy with either.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't listen to this tool above. You'll soon figure out that every post he makes on here is complete nonsense ("does the radio being on affect my gas mileage" that's a real gem of a thread) and he knows nothing of what he says. He seems to be worried about every single persons finances and tries relentlessly to talk them out of buying a 17 model while he rides around in a pos 09 and is so broke he's trying to figure out how much gas he is burning up while idling. So do yourself a favor and ignore him or should I say don't feed the troll

The 3.5 and the 17 model is a great truck and family hauler and I think you'd be happy with it. If you plan to tow make sure you get the HD tow package. It'll make life a lot easier. At $40k it's a good buy. And don't worry by the end of the year it'll still be worth way more then $15k. Good luck with whatever you decide

The 09 and 17 have different engines, clusters, foglights, and bumpers....that's about it. But feel free to feel utterly superior because you paid a bunch more for yours.

OP seems price-conscious since he's looking at a deeply discounted XLT... a 2yo better-equipped model WOULD be the better deal, more comfortable for his family, and better suit his needs

I'm stuck with a 45k loan on vehicle that isn't worth no where near that

(...)

if I were you I would take a look at some low mileage used ones.

This.

And it'll be amplified by the generational switch in the upcoming model year, and furthermore by how the XLT is a pretty barebones base model.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2017 will be fine people always worry about nothing on an outgoing model year, it will hold fine, look at the tahoes when they switched. If you like it get it! In my family the tahoes/ Yukons do not hold up in comparison to the expys. Handles fall off, running boards break, trannys smack etc. While the expys just start and go.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By going off the forums, though the gms have a better initial quality due to their newness, ford went the toyota route and went for "less is better". The expy now exceeds the sequoia in long term quality which both s#!+ on the gms in this regard. Def selling less and less expys kinda helped it in a sense. I dnt expect that to change with the 18s, but a 17 will def give u a clean decade lol. Not bashing gm just never understood their appeal.

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Its resale value will plunge an extra 50% or more the moment the '18s hit the lot.... it'll be a badly equipped OLD truck by the time it's 4 months old.

You'll drive it off the lot for MSRP 47k minus whatever discounts you manage --- and you'd be lucky to get 15 for it by the end of the year, should you choose or need to sell it.

BS. There is no USA vehicle built today that will drop in value from 47K to 15K in one year.