Thinking of installing own system. Any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean it as positive input. As far as building a custom box, if it is your first attempt or don't have a clear understanding as to what your particular woofer requires out of the box have it build or have somebody help. It is relatively easy once you see it done. That said, as far as the install into the actual truck it is very straight forward and there are a few different configurations you could come up with as far as running wire. IMO the difficult part here is just simply being careful not to destroy your interior panels/carpet/seats. Basically be gentle. I think you have a great opportunity if your installer is willing to let you help as these professionals usually have a lot of tips and tricks to teach if they are willing to let there secrets out. One thing I can't stress enough, PAY ATTENTION TO AMP TUNING. Pick your installers brain as much as possible on this. It really isn't as simple as turn it up until it sounds ok. GAIN is NOT VOLUME. Anyhow, I've rambled enough. Good luck with the install and can't wait to see some pics.

PS. 300 for custom box and install is a great deal

bnegaard

Reaction score
All: if you want to learn more about speaker building go to www.partsexpress.com. They have great advice and books on building real speakers. You can wing it and come out ok but speaker design is a science. Box size and ports are not a guess. They are calculated based on the speakers being used. There are quite a few sound professionals that ost on the site and will calculate your speaker requirements if you ask.

Crutchfield.com is another good place to get advice. If you buy a car stereo from them they will throw in installation instructions and install kit including wiring adapter. Thats worth 20+ by itself. They know what they are talking about and can help you design a system or figure out which components you need. Both sites have great prices.

OP
OP
AaronLG

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turned out great!! Very basic but it works awesome. Working on a few other things and will post all the stuff at the same time.

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear it... I love the way your Expy looks with those dark rims and tint. Doesn't look almost 15 years old!

So did he let you help? Did you learn anything? Going to do it yourself next time?

OP
OP
AaronLG

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to drop it off but got back in time to help him finish it up. Already had box made so I didn't get to do anything with that. Think I am probably going to add the other sub I have and I might do that on my own.