Those that have had the cam phasers replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe my service advisor said that it would normally run between 2k and 2500. Depending upon a few things. There's a fair amount of labor if done properly, things like properly cleaning off old gasket material etc. The master heavy tech that did the work said many of his colleagues are starting to completely remove the engine/drivetrain from the vehicle now on some of these (so they can get to everything a lot easier. He showed me a similar service that he was doing on a brand new police explorer where he completely removed the engine/drivetrain to get to parts of the engine. Crazy.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at my paperwork from when it was done, there is no length of time or duration to do the work. However there is a total of 3 seals (various) and 15 gaskets (various) listed among the parts detail for 2 phasers to be replaced. The dealer had my Expy for 3 days. They also will / should perform a coolant fill and bleed as well as an oil change for this service.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
same here, about 3.5 days. One of the issues is how long it takes to completely clean the old gasket material and sealants, then clean the surfaces, then let the new sealant cure overnight is their preference.

Reaction score
I guess I should word that better. The new updated phasers are supposed to be a fix. The early 2018 and 2019 replacements were the old phasers. So depending if you got the updated phasers put in or not should determine if you will see problems soon or not. We won't know how good the new phasers are for a while.....

Anyone know how to tell if your 2019 got the old or the new Phasers?

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Expy EL. I bought it used 5 years ago with about 75K miles. As far as I know, no phasers or spark plugs have ever been replaced. I run Mobil 1 in it and it now has 139K on it. Runs just fine. Only repairs have been the transmission electrical sleeve and an O2 sensor.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know how to tell if your 2019 got the old or the new Phasers?

The TSB has a manufacture date listed. It is approximately 4/10/2019. Anything before is suspect. Anything after should be ok. There is a month and year on your VIN sticker. There is a month and day listed on your window sticker. I am assuming that is the manufacture date.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a JOKE, Who needs it, Ford needs to put that NEW PUSHROD 6.8 V8 in the Expeditions like they are doing in the 2022 F-150's and get rid of that cutesy cam phaser twin turbo CRAP that fails, https://www.thedrive.com/news/37374...od-v8-coming-to-2022-ford-mustang-f150-report , It's been proven that the Godzilla 7.3-liter V8 can fit in classic and modern Mustangs. " It's 4.5 inches narrower than a Coyote 5.0-liter ", and we know it can make more power than its currently rated figures of 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. Even by cutting a half-liter of displacement, it wouldn't be surprising to see the 6.8-liter match or exceed that of the 2021 F-150 and Mustang's V8 in their respective applications.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol yes a 6.8 is going to be available, but the 3.5 Eco is not going anywhere. Also if you want the new V8 you need to get a Mustang or F-150. It will never see the Expedition, only current 5.0 applications. Good for Fords half ton V8 program though, not so good for the V6 program as some buyers will likely be returning to the V8 package that left with the 5.4, 6.2.

Also the 6.8 will have camphaser and cylinder deactivation so its got plenty of the "crap tech" you don't like lol.

Last edited:

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol yes a 6.8 is going to be available, but the 3.5 Eco is not going anywhere. Also if you want the new V8 you need to get a Mustang or F-150. It will never see the Expedition, only current 5.0 applications. Good for Fords half ton V8 program though, not so good for the V6 program as some buyers will likely be returning to the V8 package that left with the 5.4, 6.2.

Also the 6.8 will have camphaser and cylinder deactivation so its got plenty of the "crap tech" you don't like lol.
The 6.8 is said to be Patterned after the push rod 7.3 Godzilla V8, guess we will see when they come out won't we, as for cylinder deactivation nothing was said about THAT in anything I have read to date outside of ford doing that on the 5.0 in the F-150, How about posting a LINK to back up your cam phaser / cylinder deactivation claim on the 6.8 V8.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker