Those that have had the cam phasers replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.8 is said to be Patterned after the push rod 7.3 Godzilla V8, guess we will see when they come out won't we, as for cylinder deactivation nothing was said about THAT in anything I have read to date outside of ford doing that on the 5.0 in the F-150, How about posting a LINK to back up your cam phaser / cylinder deactivation claim on the 6.8 V8.

Considering the 7.3 Godzilla has camphaser and VCT I’d say the 6.8 most definitely will too lol. The 6.8 is just going to be a shorter stroke performance version of the engine with more power.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Considering the 7.3 Godzilla has camphaser and VCT I’d say the 6.8 most definitely will too lol. The 6.8 is just going to be a shorter stroke performance version of the engine with more power.
,Sorry,your confused with the 6.2 V 8 that does how ever still have cam phaser and VCT,
My son has a new 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 GAS, It DEFINITELY does not have cam phaser or VCT, it has PUSH ROD'S running off an OLD school camshaft , This link backs that up,, See Ford's 7.3-Liter Godzilla V8 Strut Its Pushrod Power On Dyno (motor1.com) , QUOTE, When Ford unveiled its new 7.3-liter gasoline V8 for truck duty, there was plenty of surprise from pretty much all corners of the motoring world. Blue Oval fans applauded the return of a basic single-cam, big- block pushrod mill with gobs of lazy power.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
,Sporry,your confused with the 6.2 V 8 that does how ever still have cam phaser and VCT,
My son has a new 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 GAS, It DEFINITELY does not have cam phaser or VCT, it has PUSH ROD'S running off an OLD school camshaft , This link backs that up,, See Ford's 7.3-Liter Godzilla V8 Strut Its Pushrod Power On Dyno (motor1.com) , QUOTE, When Ford unveiled its new 7.3-liter gasoline V8 for truck duty, there was plenty of surprise from pretty much all corners of the motoring world. Blue Oval fans applauded the return of a basic single-cam, big- block pushrod mill with gobs of lazy power.

It has a chain driven camphaser and VCT

”That said, the 7.3-liter also comes with VCT (Variable Camshaft Timing) to make the most of what’s there, while port fuel injection and high-flow ports add performance.”

01D3FDDE-2892-4147-A6E9-C6C645B52E4C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pgonza2723

Reaction score
Well I had them initially replaced under warranty Oct of 2019 so hopefully it got the "redesigned" ones. Otherwise it sounds like if these phasers are failing, it's not worth the cost to pay out of pocket to have it fixed and just drop the truck as a whole. Now the other question would be (and I'm aware it's variable), how long can the truck be run while these are failing?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I had them initially replaced under warranty Oct of 2019 so hopefully it got the "redesigned" ones. Otherwise it sounds like if these phasers are failing, it's not worth the cost to pay out of pocket to have it fixed and just drop the truck as a whole. Now the other question would be (and I'm aware it's variable), how long can the truck be run while these are failing?

Supposedly there is no damage if you run with rattling phasers. There is a locking pin that breaks that prevents the rattle while oil pressure is supplied to the phasers. On start up that pressure isn’t there for a moment and the pin isn’t locked (because it failed) and allows the momentary rattle.

OP
OP
P

pgonza2723

Reaction score
Supposedly there is no damage if you run with rattling phasers. There is a locking pin that breaks that prevents the rattle while oil pressure is supplied to the phasers. On start up that pressure isn’t there for a moment and the pin isn’t locked (because it failed) and allows the momentary rattle.

Ok good to know... so just more noise to add to the start up symphony (wastegate rattle, etc) but doesn't force an issues on engine failure. Well assumingly.....

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
Just had ours replaced (81K miles). Question: does this effort require removal and replacement of the thermostat?

Took the truck in with obvious cam phaser rattle and a recurring coolant leak. I assumed the leak was from the coolant to turbo line, but they diagnosed it as the thermostat. Both covered under CPO...but upon picking it up from the shop, they informed me that it should have been two deductibles ($100 per claim against the warranty) but they "waived" the second one because we had to bring the truck back when it rained out coolant (they didn't install the new thermostat gasket correctly). How generous of them. But if the work had to be done as part of the cam phaser work anyway, I'll be irritated that they pretend it's a separate job.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see how they would have to remove the coolant hose and effectively the thermostat in order to do the phaser fix. I know on mine they did, and they then had to refill the system and supposedly they pressure tested it as well.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The TSB has a manufacture date listed. It is approximately 4/10/2019. Anything before is suspect. Anything after should be ok. There is a month and year on your VIN sticker. There is a month and day listed on your window sticker. I am assuming that is the manufacture date.

Checked mine...8/2019. Theoretically phasers shouldn’t be an issue then??? Must also have been one of the last of the 2019 model year? I can’t imagine they would have made that many more since the next model year vehicles were probably hitting the lots shortly after that, right?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6.8 is said to be Patterned after the push rod 7.3 Godzilla V8, guess we will see when they come out won't we, as for cylinder deactivation nothing was said about THAT in anything I have read to date outside of ford doing that on the 5.0 in the F-150, How about posting a LINK to back up your cam phaser / cylinder deactivation claim on the 6.8 V8.

The 7.3 has VVT or VCT or whatever terminology you want to put on it. It will have cam phasers. Of this there's no doubt, there's video or two of one opened up.
If the 6.8 is going to be in an F150, let alone a Mustang (and it will be in trucks at least, a good friend works at the truck plant at Claycomo and has confirmed that late this year trucks will be starting to get that engine), it WILL have to have VCT to achieve economy standards. And who knows how much worse THAT crap will be with the new dictatorship...errr administration in the what!? house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker