Tips and tricks of the trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi! I just wanted to start a thread regarding car servicing, repair and driving tips and tricks particularly on the Ford Expedition 1st gen. Whether replacing flat tires without breaking your back or tricks on locating electrical short circuits or how to tips on defensive driving. I know this would help members and guests, young and old alike to appreciate and hang on to their expys! So, who's first?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't that part of the purpose of the sections that are already part of this forum

Tech Info
How To Section
1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

Having a thread to cover this information is useless as if there are no post for a few days the thread will get lost from the daily list.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is a good idea. There are specific How-tos and Tech Info specific to our Gen1s. We probably need to have a sticky. But I defer to the gurus who know if there are enough differences between the chassis to merit a separate sticky

On another forum I moderate, we have a 'knowledge base' so the same questions don't get asked repeatedly.

OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most technical info can be obtained in repair manuals and service manual dvds. What is not written is the experience of members and guests in how they did the repair, the tools they used, improvisations they devised and shortcuts to get the job done.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And isn't that what happens when members come on the forum and ask for help from other members then you will get loads of advice on how to do things and also there is you tube which shows how to do things

Having a thread for this purpose in not the way to go and Just look at all the responses on this today

As I said earlier if no one replies to this thread it will soon disappear in the background

Then you will have members posting the way they do things and other members say no don't do it his way do it my way which is better

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The op would need to put in a request to the site owner to create a "knowledge base" section that would contain nothing but how to's. If approved and implemented, the thread for each item would need to be locked/closed to avoid comments or replies.
This would create a little maintenance issue since the original op would need it to be unlocked to edit it in the future.

You can also achieve the same result by naming a new thread with "How to - ", providing the info normally. Once the op is satisfied with the thread we can close it. Then all you would need to do is search " How to -". If you want to give it a try go ahead, send me a pm to close it when ready.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that part of the purpose of the sections that are already part of this forum

Tech Info
How To Section
1st Gen - 1997 - 2002

Having a thread to cover this information is useless as if there are no post for a few days the thread will get lost from the daily list.

agreed...these things are already available...I tend to see that ppl don't want to search things out and ppl tend to not put them in the right section...however u look at it...these sections are already in existance

Most technical info can be obtained in repair manuals and service manual dvds. What is not written is the experience of members and guests in how they did the repair, the tools they used, improvisations they devised and shortcuts to get the job done.

reason the forum is here

And isn't that what happens when members come on the forum and ask for help from other members then you will get loads of advice on how to do things and also there is you tube which shows how to do things

Having a thread for this purpose in not the way to go and Just look at all the responses on this today

As I said earlier if no one replies to this thread it will soon disappear in the background

Then you will have members posting the way they do things and other members say no don't do it his way do it my way which is better

again...I agree...if this thread doesn't take of it will be lost forever...AND...there wont be any organization of the content that is input in the thread...so if it grows to 100 pages...I would have to go through X amount of pages just to find out about X information...not user friendly at all going about it that way...the more feasible and organized way is to post in the appropriate category...sub categories that are already available...no one is making money through...on...from the site so maintaining discipline and integrity of correct placement of information is on all of us...if everyone ensures that they post in the correct section the information can be easily accessible