Tires and MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarrenK

Reaction score
Greetings,

The BFG's are about worn out so I'm looking
at new tires.

I noticed in one thread somewhere (can't find it now of course:confused: ) that someone saw a significant change in their MPG after changing tires.

Has anyone kept track of this?

I figure it doesn't do us much good to swap MPG numbers vs the tires we have since we all have different amounts of lead in our shoes and have different rigs.

I noticed on the Michelin site under the Cross Terrain SUV tires:
'Get More Miles With Each Tank Of Gas'
"Compared to Bridgestone® Dueler™ H/L Alenza™ and Goodyear® Fortera® Silent Armor™."

I figure why throw away the performance and
MPG's from my mods on mashed potato tires!

Thanks,
WarrenK

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that any "highway only" tire would get better MPG than an All Terrain tire just because it can roll "better/easier." It's what they call rolling friction...or is it rolling resistance? It's one of those two :)

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Elvato... the more highway a tire (fewer tread voids) the less rolling resistance. Also make sure you get a load range E or better tire if possible so you can run lots of air pressure which also reduces rolling resistance....

Matt R

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
Also make sure you get a load range E or better tire if possible so you can run lots of air pressure which also reduces rolling resistance....

Definitely true..but at the cost of ride comfort.

Like everything else, tires are a compromise between ride comfort, MPG, load capacity, NVH, etc.

E's have super-stiff sidewalls...and hold a max of 80psi.

croatone

Reaction score
All terain tires and mud terains will likely lose about .5 to 1.5 mpg depending on what size you use.

lowflyingbird

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the Continental Contitrac TR E load rate tires on my Expedition. They are from a F350, and on Lightning 18" rims. They may be able to go up to 80psi. I notice it too. But, mounted they weigh a ton. I believe that a heavy wheel is not going to help economy. I've been looking into this too.
Lowflyingbird

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dumped the crap Contitracs that came with the Expy as soon as I could. Those things sucked bad...

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Load range E tires have sidewalls with a 10-ply strength rating. Their heavy-duty nature makes them a bit havier than tires with lower load ratings.

I traded the all-season Michelin E's with BFG All-Terrain D's on my truck, and it rides a bit smoother now.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, but don't make the mistake I did and try load range c tires that you can't put more than 35 psi in. I guess the compromise would be the D range tires.... i don't know the 03 and newer ones ride so nice I don't know if you would even notice the rougher ride....

lowflyingbird

Reaction score
Your opinion NOT mine

Originally posted by ELVATO
I dumped the crap Contitracs that came with the Expy as soon as I could. Those things sucked bad...

Thats funny since I have had several sets of these before, both TR and regular Conti's, all of which have given me about 80kmi. per set. and great traction Hwy, rain or snow. Here in NY. & never a flat. I'd bet that for off road they are not good though??

Lowflyingbird
PS, I have only drove on one other brand which felt better, those were Yokahama but on a car.
I've driven on:Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Firestone, Coopers, Michelins, Generals, Bridgestone, probably a bunch of others over the years. I wouldn't ever buy another set of any.