Tires for Vermont driving iin winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott216

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expedition with new Pirelli Scorpion STR P275/55R20 tires. In the winter I drive from New Jersey to Vermont every weekend to go skiing. For the most part my Expedition does very well in the snow, but I was thinking of getting some chains for the nasty weather I run into from from time to time. Any recommendations for chains? Or would I be better off getting snow tires?

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to get something I'd have to say studded tires. Maybe put them on a second set of rims if you're going to do this year after year.

Last edited:

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get your self some new tires do not put your trust in Chan's they r not that grate. Mastercraft M/S r pritty good look in to getting them.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DO NOT waste money on chains or studded tires.

When I bought my used 2008 in 2011, I changed the tires to Firestone Destinations. GREAT tires in the deep snow and mud.

I live in Vermont ski country, and have never had a traction issue. My wife is a emergency department nurse in a hospital 25 miles from the house. When the weather folks are predicting bad weather, she leaves the AWD Subaru home and take the Expedition to work. We live on a private road that is usually not plowed until the snow stops flying. With the Firestones and 4 high, the Expedition has yet to have any issues.

I have a 2005 F 250 4 x4 (diesel) and the Expedition drives almost as well in the deep stuff.

On a side note, both the wife and I volunteer on the local ambulance squad (I 'm also on the local fire department, which is a different agency) and we take the Expedition to the ambulance barn when we get a call. (The Expedition's engine warms up faster than the diesel.) And we can also remote start the Expedition while we are putting on our gear.

Go with the Firestones!

marc

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't beat snow tires. The rubber is a different formula that doesn't harden as much at low temps, so the tread stays flexible and provides better grip.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i run studded cooper M+S on one truck and blizzaks on the other both are great options but are true snow tires that will wear on dry pavement much more then a all season,all terrain..ect

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plowed snow in Mass. for 30 years with different trucks. The best imo is Blizzak. They are a dedicated snow tire, the only one when used out west on chain restricted roads that you don't have to chain up. They are that good on snow and ice. Best deal I found was Tire Rack with a steel rim, mounted and balanced delivered to my door. But ya gotta take them off in the spring or you will wear them out.

salcar57

Reaction score
I plowed snow in Mass. for 30 years with different trucks. The best imo is Blizzak. They are a dedicated snow tire, the only one when used out west on chain restricted roads that you don't have to chain up. They are that good on snow and ice. Best deal I found was Tire Rack with a steel rim, mounted and balanced delivered to my door. But ya gotta take them off in the spring or you will wear them out.

I agree 100%. I've run Bridgestone Blizzaks on everything I've owned even a little FWD Mazda that pulled through snow like a tank. Had them on my Ford Explorer and pulled away from red lights on packed ice while the Tahoe next to me was left sitting there spinning his tires. The tires stick to ice as if they were studded and it stops just as well. My TC never even kicked in taking off from a stop unless I really stomped on it. The tires are excellent on ice, so much that they use them on frozen Lake George for ice racing. They have excellent traction in just an inch or two of snow or 2 feet of it...best snow tires I ever owned and will ever buy. I even put them on both my daughters cars which are RWD Beemers and no issues in winter driving. It's true that you do have to remove them once snow season is over because they will wear out quick on dry pavement since the rubber is very soft and pliable. Another thing...even on FWD you must install them at all 4 corners since the traction is so great your ass end will pass you on turns unless you have them installed in the rear also. These bad boys stick like glue and they're no joke!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjtehan