top end knock 5.4 2V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nk321810

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought an 04' Expedition a few months ago. It has a knock in the top end. So far I've poured Marvel Mystery Oil in it, then I changed the oil and added Rislone. Then I put lifters in it. The knock is still there. My next thought is that it's a wrist-pin, but I was reading about it and saw that the PCM malfunctioning could put it slightly out of time and cause a knock. Does this sound worth investigating? Is the 5.4 2V even an interference motor? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sure miss my 5.0 Explorer :/

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's always a problem when you buy someone else's headache it sure does make you miss what you had before.

Hang in there you will get some good suggestions on this forum

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought an 04' Expedition a few months ago. It has a knock in the top end. So far I've poured Marvel Mystery Oil in it, then I changed the oil and added Rislone. Then I put lifters in it. The knock is still there. My next thought is that it's a wrist-pin, but I was reading about it and saw that the PCM malfunctioning could put it slightly out of time and cause a knock. Does this sound worth investigating? Is the 5.4 2V even an interference motor? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sure miss my 5.0 Explorer :/

your 04 should have a 3 valve in it.
the 2 valves have a notorious issue called worn out parts your valve lash adjusters are sticking. common and these engines will run along time with this. still confused about the 2 valve in your 04.

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 valves came in 2005 for the Expedition. F150 got 3 valves in 2004.

Im sorry, but I cant contribute to the engine problem.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could have sworn the SUV and F150 got the 3 valve in 03 or 04 along with mustang.
either way you might have some adjusters sticking. this might be your "knock" you're hearing
my brothers 03 had a 3 valve in it.

OP
OP
N

nk321810

Reaction score
Yeah everything I read said it was a 3V too....but when I pulled off the valve cover to change the lifters (lash adjusters) I discovered it was in fact a 2V. So now it's a 2V with month-old lash adjusters. Any thoughts on the pcm/timing?

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 4.6 2V had a top end knock that seemed like it was lifters, even using a stethoscope. Ended up being broken guides on the timing chains, confirmed with a borescope after taking a valve cover off.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ford offered the 3 valve and the 2 valve as options in 2003 in the Fseries.

the valve lash adjusters are probably sticking.
you also might have a problem with worn tensioners. your timing chain(s) might be slapping the back of the guides.
a bad roller can cause this too.

OP
OP
N

nk321810

Reaction score
ford offered the 3 valve and the 2 valve as options in 2003 in the Fseries.

the valve lash adjusters are probably sticking.
you also might have a problem with worn tensioners. your timing chain(s) might be slapping the back of the guides.
a bad roller can cause this too.

Are you saying that my brand new lash adjusters might be the issue?