Towing Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GXPY

Reaction score
Hello, I really could use some opinions regarding towing with an Expedition. I have made 2 trips towing a 7000 lb GVW camp trailer and have felt uneasy both times. I have a 2009 EL with the towing package. The truck has adequate power and the 6-speed in tow-haul mode is impressive, however the Expedition seems to wonder.....the rear end feels like it is dipping on one corner and then the next corner which keeps me jacking the steering a little, but constantly. Having used a 7.3 Excursion prior to the Expedition I might be spoiled but I am wondering if this is the normal feel of an IRS and rack and pinion? Could the stock Pirelli Scorpions cause this?
Thank you

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
can tow up to xxxx lbs when properly equipped, is the expy ready to tow?
WDH installed?is it ajusted right? is the trailer loaded right?

OP
OP
G

GXPY

Reaction score
I believe the towing capacity is 8700 or 8900 lbs. I do have a WDH with one sway control bar. I believe everything is set up properly and this is based on a little trial and error. Initially I had too much weight off the rear axle but now vehicle and trailer appear level. If anything it may be a little tongue heavy. One of the local trailer places suggested running with the air suspension turned off. IDK, the dry weight for my camper is 4500 lbs and overall length is under 24'. It seems like a tow equipped Expedition should not have any problem towing this type of camper.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my bet is the WDH is not set up right... you need to set it with full gas tank and trailer loaded with all gear. water. and LPG... the feeling your getting probly wasnt noticeable with excursion but get your WDH set correctly and you should be just fine

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typically tongue heavy trailers travel a little straighter than tongues with too little weight, so I would guess you aren't tongue heavy.
As you can see in my sig, I was a bit tongue heavy (at 850 lbs!!!), but the trailer rode perfectly. I had to adjust the axles to decrease the tongue weight to an acceptible level, and now it is much easier on the vehicle, but doesn't seem as solid driving down the road. It doesn't wander, but it just doesn't feel as sure footed as it was.
My guess is the WDH is not setup properly. I have heard they can be tricky to setup right, but when you do, they make a world of difference.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
10 TO 15% of the weight of the trailer is on the toung get the trailer weght (when loaded) ie 7000 is 700. what is the brand of WDH and the web site?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
before you replace tires get the hitch setup right, proper weight distribution front to rear
first. do you have the manul?

OP
OP
G

GXPY

Reaction score
I don't have the manual and there is not one on the website. I pulled the following number off the shank: MH01M03 and a sticker with the trailer weights and corresponding tongue weights was numbered 2204-02-385. According to the sticker the WDH is good up to 12K. I'm going to try to redo the setup tonight. See what happens....

Reaction score
As far as the IRS,yes this is typical...you need the regular solid rear axle for heavy weighted towing and towing long distances...so for comfort the IRS is awesome,but not for towing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire