Towing Package Parts numbers needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cougarmandan

Reaction score
I have an 06 XLT Sport that I bought new. We had a 97 with the 7 pin and for some reason I thought if it had a class 3 receiver, it would have the 7 pin rv plug. Anyways, Multiple times I have a contacted the local Ford dealer and I have contacted Fastpartsnetwork.com who I usually use about getting all the parts to convert it to 7 pin using all factory parts. I have the kit listed in the owners manual, a towing package rear harness, and the 7 pin plug/recepticle, but even with Ford's help they can't seam to locate a bracket part number. I was curious if any of you guys know where to find that part number so I can order and get this installed. Maybe someone with factory 7 pin can tell me if maybe its is welded on the hitch itself. I don't hang out at the dealerships, but I have yet to see an 03 up Expedition locally with the factory towing package so I could use some help here. Thanks, Daniel.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The wiring is NOT in the '07 harness without factory HD Tow. Not sure about the '06 and earlier. There's a towing thread that discusses this, use the search function. It shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm also not sure about your engine and transmission radiators, the '07s have larger versions of both to boost towing from 6000 to 9000 pounds max.

-- Chuck

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '06 EB, the 7 pin plug bracket is welded to the hitch, so unless it was placed there aftermarket by the original owner, the bracket came with the HD towing package.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can't find a Ford part #, try going to Pep Boys, Autozone or another auto parts store and see if they sell a universal bracket and install that. You could just drill into the hitch and mount any bracket. I would be more concerned about the wiring than the bracket as that can be made from aluminum or thin steel stock.

van_

Reaction score
Originally posted by cougarmandan
I have an 06 XLT Sport that I bought new. We had a 97 with the 7 pin and for some reason I thought if it had a class 3 receiver, it would have the 7 pin rv plug. Anyways, Multiple times I have a contacted the local Ford dealer and I have contacted Fastpartsnetwork.com who I usually use about getting all the parts to convert it to 7 pin using all factory parts. I have the kit listed in the owners manual, a towing package rear harness, and the 7 pin plug/recepticle, but even with Ford's help they can't seam to locate a bracket part number. I was curious if any of you guys know where to find that part number so I can order and get this installed. Maybe someone with factory 7 pin can tell me if maybe its is welded on the hitch itself. I don't hang out at the dealerships, but I have yet to see an 03 up Expedition locally with the factory towing package so I could use some help here. Thanks, Daniel.

I have an 05 that does not have the original 7 pin wiring that would have come with the HD tow package. I have added a 7 pin “4 to 7” pin receptacle to the existing 4 pin receptacle and bolted it to the 4 pin mounting tab. There should be an additional blue wire in the rear trailer harness connected to the brake controller harness under the dash. The wiring harness and relay location for the 03-06 expeditions appears to be different from the tread about the 07-08s chuck s is referring to. If anything I feel that it would be more difficult to retrofit the factory trailer backup relay and wiring though if needed it is not difficult to add an external reverse relay and wiring for high amp trailer backup lights.