Towing starter kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GreatExcape

Reaction score
I've always had a superduty that didn't even think about the boat... I don't want it to push the expy around any more than it has to. I also plan to upgrade the stock wheels and tires at some point, unless i should start there..

2021 king ranch max with tow package

Beachums

Reaction score
Is your boat trailer suitable for a WD hitch install ? If it isn't design for one, you run a real risk of liability, damage and possibly an erratically handling setup.

Also, what tires are on your truck now. What is their load rating? If you're going to be hauling an 8K trailer around.... e-rated tires are highly recommended.

Beachums

Reaction score
.....also, many boat trailers use surge brakes because of regular water immersion. As a whole they will be incompatible with a WD setup as most WDs will change the physics that surge brakes need for proper brake application.

OP
OP
G

GreatExcape

Reaction score
Is your boat trailer suitable for a WD hitch install ? If it isn't design for one, you run a real risk of liability, damage and possibly an erratically handling setup.

Also, what tires are on your truck now. What is their load rating? If you're going to be hauling an 8K trailer around.... e-rated tires are highly recommended.
Tires are Pirellis Scorpion all seasons extra load..
Rated at 2601lbs which looks to be D range, but I'm still looking for a more definitive answer

OP
OP
G

GreatExcape

Reaction score
.....also, many boat trailers use surge brakes because of regular water immersion. As a whole they will be incompatible with a WD setup as most WDs will change the physics that surge brakes need for proper brake application.

Trailer is steel box style frame and electric brakes... Aside from relocating the jack I think it will be fine but I'll contact the manufacturer to double check.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a Husky Centerline 32218 for my 7K camper. It's like half the price of that Weigh Safe. I've driven from CA to TX, and from TX to FL twice. No complaints. The main factor is getting it setup properly. It's noisy at low speeds on sharp turns, but that's such a small part of driving with it I never cared.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Campers and boats tow differently due to weight distribution.

Motorboat trailers typically only need 5%-10% of their weight on the ball because the engine weight is at the rear and the long distance between the ball and axles (compared to conventional trailers). But 8,000 pounds is still a lot of weight for an Expedition if you expect to also carry passengers and cargo.

Can't recall seeing a WDH on a boat trailer behind an Expedition -- there could be as little as 400 pounds here -- nor surge brakes on a 8,000 pound boat trailer so I hope to learn from this topic too.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire