Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geargambler

Reaction score
For our 2012 expedition limited, we removed the ford Factory (Limited is HD) cooler and added a dorman replacement. It fit perfectly, and added an additional fin / row (or two?), so its slightly bigger than stock. Here's the part number if anyone is interested. I think I may still have the stock cooler somewhere if anyone is interested. I just need to look for it.

DORMAN 918234

Link to the write up, which is upgrading from a non-HD cooler to the dorman unit: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/upgrading-stock-oem-trans-cooler.16255/page-10#post759761

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Geargambler

Geargambler

Reaction score
Compared to the aux trans cooler that comes on any truck without the HD towing package, its certainly heavy duty.

I've used plenty of Dorman parts over the years. I'm just saying - if you can't get your hands on a stock trans cooler, then the Dorman offers one that has an additional fin or two. Its not that expensive, and works just like stock. Worked for me for 11k miles before I traded the truck in.

And that write up on the Raptor Forum is pretty decent.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking the same thing when I read Dorman. Maybe this part is one of their lineup that lasts. 11 k is not that long, does anyone have a long term report that we can recommend to others?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Dorman make anything that's "heavy duty"? I thought all their junk was from China.

Not everything, depends on the part and if it’s budget line or premium. I replaced both my hub actuators with NAPA solutions (their good line). Peeled the Napa sticker to find a Dorman sticker behind it, both the Napa and Dorman stickers read Made in USA. I have a hunch WARN makes the better actuators for Dorman......that being because on the casting of both actuators reads “WARN.COM”. Seemed to be of good quality when I installed and they’ve been in about 2 weeks?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't know they made premium line for Napa. I've had good luck with Napa's good stuff. I used to have a parts/ machine shop that I used regularly on customer cars years back when I wrenched mobile. Stuff held up, very few come backs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also curious what/how it performed under the stresses of towing.
albeit a GEN 1, still have the stock cooler on mine, but added the oversized trans pan.
thanks.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the larger factory cooler, is that Dorman bigger or the same size on my 2003? The hottest I have seen on temps towing is 193°, one time this past summer when it was about 95° outside, towing to the campground. I am thinking 193 is just fine...

karisk12

Reaction score
Hi. I'm interested in your factory oil cooler. Please let me know how much you'd want for it shipped to 90045. Thanks.