Transmission Service ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not been able to get my Ford Manuals yet so I was wondering -

Since my 2011 XLT does not have a dip stick on the Trans. When you drop the pan to change fluid and filter, How do you put fluid back in ??

And is there anyone who makes a kit to replace pan with one which has the dip stick like they did for the mustangs ???????

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After doing some research I have answered my own question. Trans has Synthetic fluid and does not need service till 100K miles, Which means I will do it at 50K. Small dip stick on side of trans. Full dip stick is available in after market which I will eventually get.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Your idea is correct. Waiting to service a trans until 100,000 miles is ridiculous. I mean, unless you only want that trans to last 100,000 miles. I would speculate that you can double the service life of a trans by doing regular maintenance 'like we did in the old days'.

b1pig

Reaction score
i did the same research....

even if the fluid is synthetic, its designed for a life cycle based on specific numbers. the manuals list certain factors which would place the vehicle in "heavy" duty... or whatever it is Ford calls it. if it falls in certain criteria, Ford recommends a service interval.

i don't know if the synthetic is any better than "basic" fluid.... but here is one image that you will find all across the internet which displays about the same data you'll see all over the web about the life expectancy.. again. i'm sure this is intended for non-synthetic fluids. but its worth some thought.

transchart.gif

dariod

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford wants you to do flush at 100K miles which is ridiculos. No flush is good for tranny. I did drain and fill at 45K miles with brand new ford transmission filter and will do it again at 100K.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a flush at 30K; you would be amazed the kind of crap that came out. I will continue to do it at 30K intervals. I also plan to do coolant at 60K, check the diffs at 60K

dariod

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:mfr_closed1:
I did a flush at 30K; you would be amazed the kind of crap that came out. I will continue to do it at 30K intervals. I also plan to do coolant at 60K, check the diffs at 60K

I know its individual decision but doing a FLUSH is a big no no and has been proven that flush does more harm then good. Doing drain and fill with filter change is just fine. I am sorry there should be no "crap" inside transmission that has only 30K miles on it. I have opened transmission with over 100K miles that have never been servised before and they had no "crap" in them.

Wizard970

Reaction score
Between my Father and I, we have put more than 200,000 miles on more than four vehicles. Never flushed the tranny, never changed the fluid, or the filter. Just ad a little if it needs it. Also never changed the rear end oil. My Dad know one of the guys who bought a car of ours, it now has over 300,00, and the tranny is still the original fluid.

dariod

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Between my Father and I, we have put more than 200,000 miles on more than four vehicles. Never flushed the tranny, never changed the fluid, or the filter. Just ad a little if it needs it. Also never changed the rear end oil. My Dad know one of the guys who bought a car of ours, it now has over 300,00, and the tranny is still the original fluid.

Nothing like gambling right ??? :boxed:

Wizard970

Reaction score
I don't see a gamble at all. The Avis Lube up the block from me is recommending that you adjust the bands in an automatic tranny every 3,000 miles. Just a money maker. I have found if there is no problem, why create one? I do change the oil and filter on all my engines every 3,000. My Expedition is my 103rd vehicle. Never had a tranny problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik