Unexplained Engine Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wvboi

Reaction score
98 expedition that keeps sparatically stalling while driving. Engine starts idiling weird and when I press the gas pedal it kills the rpm and makes it want to die even moreso. If I can keep it running when that happens, it goes away for a week or two before unexplainably returning again. If it dies, it usually will not start up and remain running unless I leave it for a few hours without trying. Check engine light finally came on today and it gave a code for P0442 Evap leak. Any clue where I should start to try and resolve this?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From obd-codes.com:

A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
Other small leak in EVAP system
Faulty vent o-ring seal

Possible Solutions

With a P0442, the most common repair is to:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses

OP
OP
W

wvboi

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips on fixing the code. I guess my bigger question would be is this really the issue for the car stopping, etc? Doesn't seem like a evap leak would cause the car not to run or start.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like you are loosing fuel pressure possibly when this happens. probably not related to the code. after you ck the evap lines and gas cap ck for debris in the sol that vents the canister.