UPDATE: 03 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I looked up P0505. It is an idle air control fault and possible bad/loose connection. P0100 is a generic fault. Check your air cleaner housing and tube. Make sure its tight and no leaks. I agree, it is time to find a new shop. Your mechanic is out of his depth or worse, fleecing you. Nothing worse than a dishonest mechanic. My Mother got burned, for new license plate lamp sockets on her 2009 Lincoln MKZ. The shop failed her state inspection. They charged her $189. They said the old plastic ones were rusted out. I priced them at around $20 for the pair and 2 minutes to install. The car was still under the bumper to bumper warranty. She could of got them changed for free at the dealer, if they were bad.

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
I looked up P0505. It is an idle air control fault and possible bad/loose connection. P0100 is a generic fault. Check your air cleaner housing and tube. Make sure its tight and no leaks. I agree, it is time to find a new shop. Your mechanic is out of his depth or worse, fleecing you. Nothing worse than a dishonest mechanic. My Mother got burned, for new license plate lamp sockets on her 2009 Lincoln MKZ. The shop failed her state inspection. They charged her $189. They said the old plastic ones were rusted out. I priced them at around $20 for the pair and 2 minutes to install. The car was still under the bumper to bumper warranty. She could of got them changed for free at the dealer, if they were bad.

I replaced the MAF sensor and idle air control valve. The mechanic was from yourmechanic.com. He only replaced what I requested for him to replace (since the last mechanic that diagnosed my truck with a diagnostic computer said those two parts were the issue) how do I check fuel pressure? This is all so frustrating. If anyone is in Vegas and would like to check my truck out, let me know. I’m so tired of being without a car.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you do the 'listen' test I mentioned? You don't need any special equipment to do that except your ears.

If you have a fuel pressure tester all you do is hook it up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. The test kit should come with an adapter to make it fit.

Just Google the process and there should be a bunch of videos out there that will help you with the process. It really is a simple test. You're looking for in the vicinity of 55 PSI or so.

Also I would ignore the comment about the fuel injectors for now. That would be at the bottom of my list right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
Did you do the 'listen' test I mentioned? You don't need any special equipment to do that except your ears.

If you have a fuel pressure tester all you do is hook it up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. The test kit should come with an adapter to make it fit.

Just Google the process and there should be a bunch of videos out there that will help you with the process. It really is a simple test. You're looking for in the vicinity of 55 PSI or so.

So when I start the car I need to hop out and open the gas hatch to listen for a high pitched sound?

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
first, just sit in the truck, windows down. Turn the key to the on position (don't start the vehicle). You will hear a distinct high pitch sounds for two seconds.

If you don't know what a fuel pump sounds like now you do.

Now start the vehicle and listen for that sound. It should stay constantly high pitched - not for two seconds anymore but all the time. You may not be able to hear it over the engine so if you can't distinguish the sounds you may have to get closer to the fuel pump - go to the gas hatch area, open the cap if need be and try to hear the pump and if the pitch changes just before the vehicle dies.

If the vehicle dies consistently after a minute or so this should be an easy and free test - if you hear the pump noise start to become erratic, change pitch or whatever then the vehicle dies that will ate least point you in the right direction. It doesn't mean the pump is bad necessarily but it does mean you're on the right track. Really you need a fuel pressure test kit... but this will work for now.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
first, just sit in the truck, windows down. Turn the key to the on position (don't start the vehicle). You will hear a distinct high pitch sounds for two seconds.

If you don't know what a fuel pump sounds like now you do.

Now start the vehicle and listen for that sound. It should stay constantly high pitched - not for two seconds anymore but all the time. You may not be able to hear it over the engine so if you can't distinguish the sounds you may have to get closer to the fuel pump - go to the gas hatch area, open the cap if need be and try to hear the pump and if the pitch changes just before the vehicle dies.

If the vehicle dies consistently after a minute or so this should be an easy and free test - if you hear the pump noise start to become erratic, change pitch or whatever then the vehicle dies that will ate least point you in the right direction. It doesn't mean the pump is bad necessarily but it does mean you're on the right track. Really you need a fuel pressure test kit... but this will work for now.
My 2000 Expedition makes no such noise. Check your electrical connections at your idle control valve.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d still highly recommend cleaning up your throttle body. It’s easy to do and should be done in any fashion to see if it helps.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with checking the cats, mine did that. It was TERRRIBLY slow/underpowered. I would never of known it either, I did coil pakcs/plugs, throttle body cleaning, etc. Never had a CEL light, but it was slow bad it couldnt get out of its own way. After doing it, what an amazing change!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I agree with checking the cats, mine did that. It was TERRRIBLY slow/underpowered. I would never of known it either, I did coil pakcs/plugs, throttle body cleaning, etc. Never had a CEL light, but it was slow bad it couldnt get out of its own way. After doing it, what an amazing change!
She does not have a code P0420/p0430. That is code for a failing cat. Her codes are for IAC circuit, lean both banks, random misfires, and air/evap leak.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition makes no such noise. Check your electrical connections at your idle control valve.

Most vehicles have a two second prime. I would assume the 2000 does as well... regardless, hers is a 2003 and the 2003 does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2