Vehicle is OFF & Lights flash rear window hatch unlocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millsaps118

Reaction score
Truck has been sitting all day in the garage. Head lights stay on and turn signals flash. Rear window keeps unlocking. Interior lights come on too. I started the vehicle and drove it around the block and while driving the lights in the overhead console stay on. I can hear relays clicking coming from the glove box area. Not sure what to do at this point except bring it to the dealer tomorrow when they open. Any one experienced this or have any ideas or suggestions??? TIA

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance you could hook up a battery tester or a battery charger to see if it's a battery related issue? Could also try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit awhile before re-connecting to see if it causes things to reset.

OP
OP
millsaps118

millsaps118

Reaction score
Any chance you could hook up a battery tester or a battery charger to see if it's a battery related issue? Could also try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit awhile before re-connecting to see if it causes things to reset.
I don't have a tester handy. I did consider disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes hoping it would "reset" any glitch but, since I posted the lights stopped flashing so I left it alone. Off to the dealer tomorrow....Thanks for the suggestions!

UPDATE...I spoke to soon, it's doing it again! Going to disconnect the battery and see what happens.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I've said this since day one and people laughed back then.......

These 2018+ Expeditions are electrical nightmares!

I think it will make the Chrysler tipm disaster look like childs play in time.

OP
OP
millsaps118

millsaps118

Reaction score
I've said this since day one and people laughed back then.......

These 2018+ Expeditions are electrical nightmares!

I think it will make the Chrysler tipm disaster look like childs play in time.
I agree 100%! I was reluctant to buy one right away. I've experienced some other electrical issues besides this as well.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am curious if it may involve the WiFi. I do know that if the WiFi is turned on to mine that it will connect to my network. I also wonder if it would connect to someones insecure network. That would open up the possibility for the vehicle to be hacked and a temptation for all types of mischief to occur. I always suggest to leave the vehicles WiFi (not necessarily the hot spot) turned off. One of these days I am going to play with it and see just how accessible it is.

OP
OP
millsaps118

millsaps118

Reaction score
Expy is on the flatbed. Battery died overnight from the lights staying on and flashing. I should've kept the battery disconnected until the tow truck came but didn't. The override to shift into neutral worked but would not keep the vehicle in N. It kept defaulting back to P so he had to drag it up onto the flatbed and load it backwards. To be continued.....

OP
OP
millsaps118

millsaps118

Reaction score
I am curious if it may involve the WiFi. I do know that if the WiFi is turned on to mine that it will connect to my network. I also wonder if it would connect to someones insecure network. That would open up the possibility for the vehicle to be hacked and a temptation for all types of mischief to occur. I always suggest to leave the vehicles WiFi (not necessarily the hot spot) turned off. One of these days I am going to play with it and see just how accessible it is.
I've had the WiFi turned off for the last month as I did not renew wifi service. Theoretically I think you're on to something tho!