Vista Roof Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jking05

Reaction score
I have all sorts of rattles coming from the driver door, roof, dash and somewhere in the back. Bugs the crap out of me and I cant figure out where they are actually coming from. My wifes 5 year old murano doesnt have any noises. Took it to the dealer for multiple smaller things along with oil change and they couldnt replicate anything. All he said was the passenger sun visor was rattling which is wasnt. Service advisor called asking why I didnt give them 5 star review and I said you didnt fix anything. Then said I can come drive with a tech but will send out another review right away for me to change his rating. I told him when its fixed I can update it.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I am having a rattling issue in my vista roof. It all started after some snow got caught in the roof, when i mistakenly opened it, when I meant to hit the curtain button. Big mistake...filled the interior with snow. It sounds like my rattle is coming from the black plastic covering, which hides wear the two pieces of roof glass come together. Not 100% sure, but that's what I think at this stage. Sounds like a thin metal clinking on something, a light rattle over bumps.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has a few rattles I can’t locate as well. The sunroof curtain on mine rattles when it’s fully closed near the air vent for the rear passenger. If my son pushes up on the curtain it stops or if I open it half way it goes away. That one stumps me on how to fix it.

mhExped

Reaction score

I'm having similar noises coming from/around the vista roof in my '18 Limited. I'd assumed it would be covered by the TSB cited above.

Am I correctly reading the posts to this thread that customers are going into the dealer citing the trouble and this TSB and being either (a) turned away, told the TSB doesn't match their vehicle/symptoms for some reason or (b) the fix stated in the TSB is being applied but the noises continue?

I was banking on this issue being an easy fix since the TSB seemed to be a pretty good match on paper. Sounds like I'm wrong about that?

FarrahtheFord

Reaction score
Hello. First timer here. I too have a 2018 Max 4x4 with the very annoying rattle in the panoramic moonroof. I have cleaned it. I have greased it. I have tried the slick tape. I was so frustrated last night I decided to get on top with a flashlight while one of my kids operated the darn thing up and down for what felt like an hour. After much review, I felt like my issue is where the sliding top glass corner meets the fixed glass. When that sliding glass piece is up, you can see that the glass comes down and appears to touch metal. I first put a couple of Kleenex on each side right under the corners and closed the roof and took it for a drive. No sound! I was getting hopeful. I knew the Kleenex was not a final answer so after searching my home for something that might last, even for a week, I decided to give a piece of mounting putty a try. I pulled off a section of the putty and warmed it in my hands. Then I tilted the sliding roof up. From the inside, I pushed the mounting putty on to the inside corner of the movable glass. Repeated on the other side. Then I closed it and took a drive. What?!? I can actually focus and hear someone talk to me because I have silence! Beautiful silence. I drove it a lot today. Rocky road. Bumpy road. Two speed bumps. My rattling always happened when the body of my “Farrah” was not level and being jarred. Still no sound of rattle. I will post back in a week or so to let you know if this peaceful bliss continues.

9881099B-0E89-4189-98A8-1A6DEE3A6D72.jpeg

8A9F851F-CF6A-4980-9C85-A69E13446281.jpeg

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
where was this thread a couple months ago.. lol (I suppose i could have searched for it).
I also have the annoying rattle. While my vehicle was in the shop last week for the second go around to fix the parking break (I actually use mine every time i park), i mentioned the rattle in the roof.
Dealer confirmed the noise, and has ordered new rails for the roof, waiting for parts to arrive. So will see if new rails fixes the issue.. but at least if it comes back in a couple years, i know where to look for the noise, and in the mean time, i'll take any new parts they want to give me.

This is also my third dealer service department. First two service dept's pissed me off so bad, never going back.
The dealer i'm going to now also has a very front and center visible Lincoln section, so i'm walking through all the lincoln's on my way to the service desk. Other dealers were't Lincoln dealers specifically. I think that makes a difference on the quality of service this dealer provides (maybe..) So far in three visits (including a tow-in), they haven't pissed me off yet, and actually did a full detailing on my vehicle last time through.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is also my third dealer service department. First two service dept's pissed me off so bad, never going back.
The dealer i'm going to now also has a very front and center visible Lincoln section, so i'm walking through all the lincoln's on my way to the service desk. Other dealers were't Lincoln dealers specifically. I think that makes a difference on the quality of service this dealer provides (maybe..) So far in three visits (including a tow-in), they haven't pissed me off yet, and actually did a full detailing on my vehicle last time through.
Which dealers were problematic?
I've used Universal Ford in the NE in the past, and I was happy with them.
I'm now using Maclin Ford in the automall - was happy the first 2 times, but now they changed ownership and I'm very wary of them. Still using them but keeping an eye out.
One thing that annoys me - hasn't changed with the ownership change, so not sure who to blame - they have some kind of "rollover" alignment measurement thing and they hand you a summary sheet every time you come in. Well, the first time they measured my rear alignment was out, can't remember how much. New vehicle, so I agreed to adjust it. After they "fixed" it, the new numbers were all in the green, but on average they were closer to the limits than they were before the fix! On my last visit, another number was in the red but barely, so I declined the alignment work. I'm betting that number will be green next visit...
My dad has always used Metro Ford and he's happy there (mostly). I purchased in Carstairs and I could try them out but they are much less convenient.
Anyways, curious what your experiences are as well.

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which dealers were problematic?
I've used Universal Ford in the NE in the past, and I was happy with them.
I'm now using Maclin Ford in the automall - was happy the first 2 times, but now they changed ownership and I'm very wary of them. Still using them but keeping an eye out.
One thing that annoys me - hasn't changed with the ownership change, so not sure who to blame - they have some kind of "rollover" alignment measurement thing and they hand you a summary sheet every time you come in. Well, the first time they measured my rear alignment was out, can't remember how much. New vehicle, so I agreed to adjust it. After they "fixed" it, the new numbers were all in the green, but on average they were closer to the limits than they were before the fix! On my last visit, another number was in the red but barely, so I declined the alignment work. I'm betting that number will be green next visit...
My dad has always used Metro Ford and he's happy there (mostly). I purchased in Carstairs and I could try them out but they are much less convenient.
Anyways, curious what your experiences are as well.

I purchased my Expy at Strathmore ford, as they were one of the first dealers to have them in the province. Got mine just before xmas 2017. I think i had one of 10 in the Province at the time.
kinda got ripped off on winter / not actually winter tires from the dealer, and a few other small things that soured me.
Rear glass issue, i took to advantage ford (close to me, in deep south), and that's the dealership service dept that lied to me. Had codes on the computer about a wiring short, and various video documentation for the issue from my dash cams. they drove the vehicle into the service bay, and back out 3 minutes later after adjusting the latch pin looser, and called it fixed. They told me he had used the computer / no codes. (codes were still there when i checked later), and they f-ed up my rear wiper by loosing the latch as well. super mad.

Since then, i've been going to woodridge ford, and I've been super happy with them. They at least properly diagnosed the rear hatch issues, ordered parts, etc. then my park brake failed on, had to get it towed, paid a bit extra to take to woodridge. Now the brake issue which was "fixed" re-occurred a day after i got my vehicle back (sigh), but they have been quite accommodating and relatively easy to deal with, so even with that, i'm pretty happy with them so far.
(But my hero is Drumheller Ford owner - dont recall his name - who came to my rescue and found the brake reset procedure to get me driving again while out of town at hockey tourney.)

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you guys are ahead of me on this. Starting to hear more rattles and immediately i zeroed in on the vista roof. It’s not happening enough yet to say for sure, but this thread seems to confirm that’s what it’ll be.

I hate sunroofs. Period. Wish they weren’t standard in just about everything these days.

John I

Reaction score
This thread was a contributing factor in my decision to avoid buying a vehicle with the vista roof. Well, this and the fact that I never opened the sunroof in the Tahoe I previously drove, or the MDX before that. Here in southern California that eliminated a lot of leftover 2019 models when I was shopping in December, but eventually I located exactly what I was looking for at a great price. (after dealer discount and factory rebates)