Well, the spark plug demon got me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any time you bring a vehicle into a licensed shop, you sign an invoice, with a beginning estimate. Unless the shop decides to wave that $ amount, your responsible for at least that amount. If the service advisor/mechanic calls you, or your there in person has to revise the original estimate if it goes above the original estimate amount. You by law are responsible to pay that amount if services are rendered. In his case, he will probably get an adjusted amount if he removes the vehicle. All shops have what is known as a garage man's lien, that by law allows them to keep your vehicle until you pay. It varies from state to state, but the shop can legally sell your vehicle if you don't claim it and pay within 90 days.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty common. They didn't get it stuck. And its not damaged. Just stuck.

He said they “Broke 3 of 4”

That means they are responsible for getting it back in working order no matter the cost.

If they were just stuck he would get his truck back in the same functional (granted with a miss) form that he DROVE the truck in with. And he would certainly not owe them the full amount quoted as they did not complete the job.

Now if I am understanding correctly the truck is not even drivable with 4 broken spark plugs 3 of which they can’t remove.

Unless I am reading something wrong. The dealers mechanic screwed it up. They ARE responsible.

If the mechanic backed it into a garage door or it fell off a lift while they were doing a simple oil change would they not be responsible?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shops, especially dealerships always tell the customer at drop off of the difficulty of the spark plug replacement. Even if they forgot to tell him, they cover their butt, with a bulletin from Ford that spells out the risk. It sucks, but they more than likely will not be held responsible. And no his vehicle is not drivable, it would have to be towed to another shop, or home. It's sad, but a way of life.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shops, especially dealerships always tell the customer at drop off of the difficulty of the spark plug replacement. Even if they forgot to tell him, they cover their butt, with a bulletin from Ford that spells out the risk. It sucks, but they more than likely will not be held responsible. And no his vehicle is not drivable, it would have to be towed to another shop, or home. It's sad, but a way of life.

OP did you get any information from the dealer that said.
We are not responsible for anything we screw up because this can be a tough job???

I certainly would not allow work be done by someone that says hey we might mess this up and you will be responsible for us causing your vehicle to no longer be operable.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I really hope this dealer was smart enough to allow some type of penetrating fluid to soak on that broken plug over night. I have friends that work at my local ford dealer and have never had to pull a head for a broken plug on a 3 valve. Just gotta be smart and patient

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He said they “Broke 3 of 4”

That means they are responsible for getting it back in working order no matter the cost.

If they were just stuck he would get his truck back in the same functional (granted with a miss) form that he DROVE the truck in with. And he would certainly not owe them the full amount quoted as they did not complete the job.

Now if I am understanding correctly the truck is not even drivable with 4 broken spark plugs 3 of which they can’t remove.

Unless I am reading something wrong. The dealers mechanic screwed it up. They ARE responsible.

If the mechanic backed it into a garage door or it fell off a lift while they were doing a simple oil change would they not be responsible?
Only one is "unextractable". The other 3 are out. Only 4 were attempted so far (by the OPs posts). There are ways to extract even those "unextractable" plugs without pulling the head. And even then, popping a head off, working the plug out, then laying the head back in place does not cost nearly $4000. Beside the head gasket, there are no new parts so its all labor, and should be around $300-$500.

And it is common for owners to pay the extra cost associated with those ****** up plugs. It shouldn't be, but it is.

As to your analogy of backing into a wall or falling off a lift...thats not what happened here. At all. Your examples are negligence and the shop in that case would be 100% liable for damage. Breaking one those stupid plugs is not negligence. Its a bad design, well documented and widely known now for many years. I'd be quite surprised if that dealer did not discuss the possible issues with removing those plugs with the OP.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key is your last sentence.
If the dealer discussed the potential issue and the OP being responsible for the extra charges that is one thing.

If that that did not happen in writing the dealer is responsible for the damage and subsequent charges to repair them plain and simple.
The OP made no mention of such precaution by the dealer and is surprised the dealer is wanting to charge him.

How is Joe off the street supposed to know that this is such a difficult job and any different than an oil change or tire rotation for a certified mechanic at a dealer of the company that designed and engineered the thing would go a very long way in civil court.

Cross thread an oil pan during an oil change or cross thread a wheel stud during a wheel rotation. The dealer pays to make it right.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's true on a blatant mechanical issue that was mechanic induced. We had things at our shop that we had to pay for. But if that dealership knew more than how to write a work order, would have prepped the customer, or had the mechanic stop after the first breakage. If the tech went all the way to #4 breakage with no customer contact, and a revised estimate, would be opening that shop to a lot of grief. I've been on this forum pushing 4 years now, and it amazes me the horrible quality of both diagnostic, and repair that goes on throughout the country. Very few shops own up to their mistakes, and the vehicle owners pay for their poor mechanic ability.