What Can I Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 07 EB, never really towed anything, so not sure how much I can pull.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you looking at getting something in particular? Depending on the options you have you can tow large boats, campers, work trailers, etc. I can't remember the exact number, but I believe one of the new ones with the tow pkg is rated somewhere in the low 9k lbs for a max weight. Now that would be pushing it for sure and I would never put the truck under that much duress for long periods of time. But I would say regardless of what the truck has, anything under 7k lbs would be just fine. Just go slow, double check the hook-ups, and happy towing :)

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6000 lbs without a weight dist. hitch. 8600-8900 with a WDH. However, it all depends on Tow package, 4x2 or 4x4, and whether or not it has air susp in the rear.

I was right at, or a little over 6000 lbs with the boat, and it handled it without any issues. I even had the tongue weight at 850 for the first year without knowing it. Tow package and 4x4.

Last edited:

captain1997

Reaction score
I have the same question (what can i tow)about my 2005 expedition. I had a 99 eddie bauer 4wd and I pulled my 27 ft camper with it no problem. I just traded it in on this 2005 its only a XLT. I did get the 5.4 and the tow package. I thought it was all the same but the factory hitch is mounted a little dirrerent and it only has 2 flat plugs for trailer lights my 99 had the round plug and all I had to do was plug in my brake controller and I was good. That is why I am wondering if this 2005 really has the tow package. And is there anywhere out there i can get a adapter to plug into the flat plug to turn it into the round plug without having to cut and splice wires? I have to do more investagating.

white7wolf

Reaction score
I think I ran into a similar thing with trailer lights on my dodge. Some trucks come wired for four flat systems (you said you have two though? I'm not sure if there is a 2 flat...?). Anyways, some come wired for 7 round I don't know why they do this. However, there is some good news! They make adapters, here's one from autozone:
Reese/7 way round blade connector (74184) | | AutoZone.com

Good luck and I hope that works for you.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same question (what can i tow)about my 2005 expedition. I had a 99 eddie bauer 4wd and I pulled my 27 ft camper with it no problem. I just traded it in on this 2005 its only a XLT. I did get the 5.4 and the tow package. I thought it was all the same but the factory hitch is mounted a little dirrerent and it only has 2 flat plugs for trailer lights my 99 had the round plug and all I had to do was plug in my brake controller and I was good. That is why I am wondering if this 2005 really has the tow package. And is there anywhere out there i can get a adapter to plug into the flat plug to turn it into the round plug without having to cut and splice wires? I have to do more investagating.

Sounds like you may not have the tow package, but do have a factory hitch. You could order the hitch without the tow pkg, but you would not get the 7 pin connector or HD tranny cooler.

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. We're looking at Toy Haulers to tow with our 2010 Limited 4x4. We've been looking at ones between 23' long to maybe 27'. Was wondering what the towing capacity on this is so I have a good idea of what size we can go up to. I've also seen some 29' and 30' ones that I like too. I'd also love to know if the RV dealer(s) are full of shit or not when they tell me I have to have a different kind of tow package installed in place of the factory installed that also has the round multi-pin connector. I thought I counted 10 pins and not 7 but I'm probably wrong. I know my Expy has the sway control and the RSC and the rear load leveling airbag suspension so I'm just curious if I'm really gonna have to pay for them to install a trailer braking device and the aftermarket tow package/hitch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

B.

B

bedrck46

read your owners manual If you don't have one go to owner.ford.com and download a copy
Also go to ford etis and enter your vin number it will give you information as to what all was on the expy when built

Your connector may be a 7 pin and a 4 pin connector all in one mounting unit see attached pic some places call that a multi tow connector

Last edited by a moderator:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
funny-smartcar-towing_zpsa7c473d7.jpg

Somehow I bet its beyond its rated towing capacity......

Last edited: