What fuel pump are you guys going with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the fuel pump went out in my 2004 the other day. I know this because its sitting at a shop and they diagnosed it to be that. They want just under $800 for a new pump, filter, and install. I told them I would give them a pump because they wanted $408 for the pump. I am not sure what brand pump they were putting in either. Its not a Ford dealership either. The one that I did trust closed up and the one I dont trust well.. I just stay away from them. It may be a bosch brand but not sure.

Anyway, rockauto has the bosch for $463. Kinda steep. Motorcraft $393., and spectra & airtex around $180. Have you guys went with the cheap units before?

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put this one in when I bought the expedition. Granted mine is a 99 but same pump. Works flawlessly. I will be changing the pump for twin gt pumps in the near future

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Denso pumps. The last one came from Rock Auto and it is still going strong. Complete pump and sender assemblies are in the range of 275-400 depending on who you buy from. My school of though is if it isn't broke don't fix it, so why change the sender if it hasn't been giving trouble in the past?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the Motorcraft pump/sender assembly (p/n PFS-453) is about $400 from Rock Auto . The Motorcraft filter (p/n FG-1063) is $20 and 5 minutes to change. It's on the side of the tank anyway. So they're charging you $400 for labor.... meh. $200 for labor would be better, but maybe they pay high rent. Make sure they install a new sender with the pump. It comes as assembly from most suppliers anyway. Don't be cheap and try to skip the new sender because it will fail in a short time and you'll have to pull the tank again to replace it.
So the bottom line is, if they're using Motorcraft parts the price isn't that far out of whack. Airtex is a good brand as well, and supplies many of the US car makers.

-Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I would do the job myself but the truck stopped running around 15 miles from home and its sitting at a shop. Also, it has half a tank in it right now. Weird thing that happened last week, I was down at empty and I put $10 just to get home. I left gas station and the gauge was at empty and DTE said, 4 miles. I drove to another gas station and dropped another $10 and then started it up, and it said 3 miles. Rather odd.. I put $20 more into the tank and then started it up and it said 140 miles. So maybe the sender is going out as well. I think I will go with the airtex brand. I believe they told me that they would charge me $320 in labor if I bring part. This is also with the $35 diagnostic fee.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good shop will have a lift and a trans jack that they use to support the tank. A competent mechanic would have it replaced in 1 hour. Labor stills seems high.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please don't install a cheap pump assy,it is not worth having to drop the tank 3 months later because the pump went out. I know money is tight but at least buy a Motorcraft or a Delphi pump, Like was stated above most pumps come with a new sending unit

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please don't install a cheap pump assy,it is not worth having to drop the tank 3 months later because the pump went out. I know money is tight but at least buy a Motorcraft or a Delphi pump, Like was stated above most pumps come with a new sending unit

I priced out a Delphi pump at Napaonline and it came out to being $288.90. I found the same pump on RockAuto for $208.79. Looks like I will be going with this pump. I will have them put on a new filter as well. RockAuto lists a Motorcraft for $18.05. I do know that while talking to the service writer at this shop that they were going to charge me $50 for a fuel filter. This was something they always do when changing a pump. I thought this was high. I know where they get their parts too. Its AdvanceAutoParts. I go online and they only list 1 filter for the Expedition. Its a Purolator filter for $19.99. I was under the impression that the filter was listed for a lot more than that. $50 is a steep mark-up.

So I will pay $228.49 for pump and filter. They wanted $408 for pump and $50 for filter. Looks like I am helping myself out a lot going this route. I hate to pay someone to do the work but I have no way of getting the truck back without paying a $80 tow bill and I need to drain half the tank. I am also short on time with other projects around the house.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you can always make phone calls to see if there is another shop that will do the labor. I think you can buy a Motorcraft fuel filter from O'reilys for $12.00 so I would look for that locally. Money is hard to come by these days so if you can save $5.00's here and $10.00's there it adds up. I would also see what the shop that has the truck will do in just labor,and you order your parts. Most of the time if I order something from Rock Auto I get it in 2 days. But it is all up to you,it is your vehicle.