What repairs do you still need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Majority of members here have a fairly used expedition and with age comes problems, what issues do you have with yours? List the year, engine size & mileage.

My 05 5.4 w/ 139K needs

New brake lines
Exhaust manifolds
Power steering pump
A.C. recharged
Oil pan gasket
Rear wiper motor
Shocks/struts
And a good wash...

I just started it up, been 21 days according to my calender since I last drove it

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was shaking on the front end when hitting the brakes and passing fast and the rear wiper stopped working. I believe it's not always the motor there is a thread here somewhere. I "traded mine in" in my mind but I really gave it to a family member to see if they like it to buy it... an extended test drive since I got the pickup. They think it's too big so it might not be gone, which is fine I'll keep it as a secondary vehicle if they pull back on it. If that's the case I'll have to tear the front end apart to see what's making it shake. Kinda thought this was coming but it's ok the expy is way more comfortable for when I'm driving two hours down to the cabin on dirt roads. This 350 isn't the best for long drives ride wise. Everyone tried to tell me to keep it anyway as a backup and a ol' workhorse secondary. If I end up getting it tossed back at me my profile pic will be changed to it that's how you'll know lol.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the rear wiper. The wiper transmission binds where it goes through the glass. I had to replace mine last year on the 05. The transmission was $35 from Rock Auto, I think it was a Dorman. I replaced ti because the end sheared off when I tried to remove the nut. I think I posted a thread in the 2nd gen when I replaced it. It was a pretty easy fix but a small puller comes in hand to get the arm off the shaft.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
08 needs timing parts replaced. Not much more. I only have 110 miles on it.

CJ

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting to get the “cold start rattle” of the timing components so need to do a timing chain set/adjusters.

Got a weird “CLUNK” when I shift from drive into reverse that comes from what sounds like the front end. I have gone through the entire driveline and can’t find anything loose or worn. Took the wheels and brakes off to turn everything with no resistance to see if I could isolate the noise.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Starting to get the “cold start rattle” of the timing components so need to do a timing chain set/adjusters.

Got a weird “CLUNK” when I shift from drive into reverse that comes from what sounds like the front end. I have gone through the entire driveline and can’t find anything loose or worn. Took the wheels and brakes off to turn everything with no resistance to see if I could isolate the noise.

Is that clunk with the truck on leveled ground or an incline?

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that clunk with the truck on leveled ground or an incline?

Both.

It sounds like a bad u-joint clunk or loose lug nut/rotor slap. The diffs are tight and consistent (tested by hand free-spinning and under load, did not dissasemble to check lash) and all u-joints and cv shafts are in excellent working condition with no slop or other indicators of wear.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't want to play this game...

1997 5.4L, 180ish k

Upper ball joints
Replace lower ball joints with oversized Moog's
Lower front of truck 1" (level truck driver/passenger)
Replace torque converter
Rebuild transmission pump
Replace transmission filter
If metal/plastic/carbon in transmission pan, rebuild transmission.
Install transgo shift kit
Remove Fram filter from engine (I know, I was dumb)
Flush oil
Replace damaged valve cover
Replace damaged intake manifold
Replace rear shocks with extended length shocks.

Edit:1

Exhaust manifolds
Cat delete (likely clogged)
New muffler
New exhaust everything
Rebuild LS
Gear swap for 37's that are coming
20's for 37's
God... :Grenade:

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured out my “clunk”.......

Bad t-case shift motor. I am going to attempt to pop the cover off with the 3 torx screws and clean it up underneath. If that fails then a new one will be ordered.