What the heck! What genius designed the brake line routing on this thing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I repaired my drivers side hard brake line. Actually replaced it. It is in the worst spot! First they have it in this plastic retainer that the line clips into. It has angle teeth to let it slide in and not out. But its a pain in the butt to hold those retaining fingers apart and try to pry it out at the same time. Then while they were having that brilliant idea they decided to put the connector from the front half of the hard line and the back half of the hard line on top of the frame rail...:think:. Right between the frame and body. Where there isn't any room to get a wrench into. I had to break the line and pull the connector over into the open. Then after all of that great thinking they said "hey lets just pull a trifecta and make the bubble connectors a non-standard size"! So like a boss I bought a new hard line, a bubble flaring tool and some brake fluid. Then laid the smack down on those break lines! Man what a simple job turned into a mess. What do these guys think when they design this crap! I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm scratching my head as to how far up their butt the head of these guys must be to think up so much stupid stuff!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you haven't worked on anything German or Swedish... My '04 volvo had to have the pcv cleaned every so often. simple right? no. it's not servicable and required a $250 -$400 part kit depending on how bad it was. if it was left unchecked it turns into $800 to $1300 in repairs..

then the transmission had a nonservicable filter and some bad solenoids caused slippage which caused the clogging of said filter.

I'll take those brake lines over that $4000 repair bill anyday :D

just re route it your way is what I would do. don't even bother with removing all of the old line if you don't need to..

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did my brake lines cause one blew out. Turned my wheels to full Lock to get behind them. Changed everything out without even taking off the tires. Pretty easy honestly

Screw driver pries those little retainer clips back pretty easy. you think the brake lines were badly designed, wait till you try to find the spark plugs...

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, I have changed the spark plugs on this thing and that was not that big a deal. The front lines are pretty simple, its the back ones that get a little hairy. But hey everyone has their area of working on a vehicle that makes them cringe. I have now experienced mine. I'd fix it again in a heart beat. But it was just one of those moments that you look at it and say "this could be way easier to do with a little thought in the initial design". Thats all I'm sayin!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah I see. I was thinking you replaced the hard line from the master to the fronts. Didn't know we were talking about the rears. The rear does look a bit more complicated...

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701