Which Expy do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigEDGE02

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm in the market for a used expedition. I've been searching around the forum trying to learn as much as possible about the Expy, and was hoping I could get your guys opinion.

I had an '02 Ranger for a while and loved it. Had about 13" of lift with IFS and sat on 35's (big for a ranger lol). It was a daily driver and also used it a lot for camping and wheelin. It unfortunately didn't work out well for the family though, we'd end up having to take 2 cars, one for the family and one for gear and fun. So you can see where I'm going with this, I'm looking for something that can take the Rangers place and carry the whole family plus gear. It wouldn't be a daily driver though and I'd like to do an average size lift (6" max) and some mud tires (37" max). I'm definitely looking to keep the purchase price way down, I'm a pretty good weekend wrench so I don't mind doing a few minor repairs. So basically, which gen Expy can handle the mods I want, and handle some lite to medium wheelin and is pretty cheap to buy? I'm not worried about high mileage unless you guys say I should be. Was also considering an excursion but I don't really tow anything heavy so figured the Expy was the way to go. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info you can offer!

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey! welcome, join the first gens our rigs are better because we have solid axle rear :p. I would say the first gen is the best imo because IFS and IRS together is just terrible for a lift kit the spacing blocks are pretty much an expensive body lift. the IFS in the first gen can be upgraded to a custom long travel and the rear to coils and such so I would go that way. Also remember to re-gear the rear and front for bigger tires if you even want to think about mpg and acceleration

Last edited:

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say go for a first gen, '97-02. The only serious lifts I've seen for the second gen Expy's, '03-'06, are pretty pricey. And as for mileage, my wife's 1998 has 212,000 and runs like a champ. I wouldn't be to worried about high mileage.

Victor

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I would stick to the 1st gens. My dad's 04 (2nd gen) has proven to be much more "soccer mom-ish" if you know what I mean. The 1st gens are not as powerful, but at 210,000 miles my truck has seen its fair share of beating off road and towing, and she still runs great. Plus the solid rear axle in the back and torsion bars in front make it much easier to lift than the IRS and IFS in the newer gens. 1st gens are so much more truck-like. Plus the 1st gens are dirt cheap right now.

EDIT: Did not see Rex's post right away, but I agree the lifts are quite pricey for the newer ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigEDGE02

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like the 1st gen is the way to go! Now I can finally narrow down my search a bit....Thanks again for the help!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Bigedge02, like others have said, 1st gen is the way to go. The later versions are going to be expensive to go the size that you are after.

Now, with what you are after, you are going to need a very specific setup. Trust me. The other members here will back up what I am saying. When running 37's, you are going to find that with minimal lift, you are going to need to run 37x12.5's on an 8" wide rim. Going with 13.5" wide tires or a wider rim WILL!!!!!! result in rubbing. now, this is all based on only having 6" of lift. You go with more lift and you can obviously go with bigger tires. I have managed to fit 37x12.5's on my 1st Gen X with only a 4" suspension lift (no other lifts). But, when I say that it is a tight fit and you need very specific components, been there, know where all the limits are. Stepping up to 6 inches of lift is not going to correct much in where your limiting points are.

If you want a step by step of what needs to be done to get what you are after, let me know. I have been down this road and will pass on all the grimey details of what it is going to take. But, in short, you have to be ready to take a 3 pound hammer to the body of the truck and be ready to cut about an inch off of the bumpers to make what you want work.

If you do some looking around, you should be able to find some pics of my truck with what you are after. Also, keep in mind that these are some of the prices that you are going to be dealing with: $1600 for the lift, $2000 for tires/rims, $1600 for new gears (recommend 4.56 gears as this will bring the truck back to like it had 3.73 gears on stock tires), and another $200 or so in miscellaneous stuff to make it all work. If you need tools or whatnot, that is going to be up and above what I have quoted.

If you are looking for a truck that is ready to rock and roll, with the setup you are wanting, there is very few trucks with that big of a tire and that "little" of lift. But, there are options and I might be able to help you out.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey.. Hey!!!! Lifting a Gen2 is awesome!!!

Yeah.. It's pricey as heck... lol!! But!!! gotta love helping out the females getting into the cab :) oppss!!! sorry... (yeah right !) If y'all know what I mean *snicker*

:head3:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger