Which transmission do I have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHolden

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expy with the 2 valve 5.4L and the 6 speed transmission.

I am getting the classic shudder so I want to do a transmission filter change out. But I want to check with you guys is the 6 speed the 6R75?

I want to make sure I order the right filter!

Is this a easy job, does someone on here have a walk through instruction?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a 6R75 trans. I had a fluid change after mine started shifting funny and it's a lot better now. However I do get a clunk sound on downshifts when coming to a stop that I did not get before the change which has gotten progressively noticeable. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time, heck I thought it was done recently but it was a wheel speed sensor acting up. They found nothing wrong with my fluid and no shavings when they opened it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info, hope you get yours sorted.

I am at 216k miles

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info, hope you get yours sorted.

I am at 216k miles

Also be sure to get Mercon SP and not LV. Mine likely won't be sorted until it blows itself into pieces inside and I have it replaced, like I said they found nothing wrong so I'm just driving it until it goes kaboom.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a 6R75 trans. I had a fluid change after mine started shifting funny and it's a lot better now. However I do get a clunk sound on downshifts when coming to a stop that I did not get before the change which has gotten progressively noticeable. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time, heck I thought it was done recently but it was a wheel speed sensor acting up. They found nothing wrong with my fluid and no shavings when they opened it up.

Our American Manufacturers still haven't figured out how to build a good transmission. I'm at 160,000 miles and it's on the way out.
I remember when you were lucky to get 100,000 miles on a transmission. If you were pushing 160,000 miles you were ready to trade it in.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when you were lucky to get 100,000 miles on a transmission. If you were pushing 160,000 miles you were ready to trade it in.

Not in today's world where the Japanese manufactures like Toyota get 300k without a problem.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying that it wasn't that long ago where 100,000 miles was the standard. I did get 190,000 out of a Mercedes transmission in a 300SDL.

My mechanic had a hunch that it's actually a transmission mount going bad. I'm not too concerned because otherwise it's way better than before the fluid change, if it goes I'll replace it I guess.

Last edited: