Will I be dissapointed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, new here but not new to Fords. My Wife's Envoy XL is getting long in the tooth and I'm looking for a replacement. Everything we've looked at with 3 rows (a necessity for my family) has been a joke (my kids are young but not small). We keep coming back to a suburban, Armada, or Expedition. My wife prefers the truck based SUVs, and the kids prefer them for the usable 3rd row.

I currently own a 10 F150 Platinum crewcab with Max Tow package and 50k miles on it (its a unicorn of trucks and I looked for over a year to find it). It sits 90% of the time since I have a focus for a commuter and only use the truck to pull our 6200lb (GVWR) camper (hence the low miles). My oldest daughter just got her first car, and now I've got more vehicles than drivers or garage space, so we're thinking of trading in the truck and buying an Expedition EL that can serve double duty as the grocery getter and the tow rig. It will fit in my garage (my truck does not), and will be used daily.

Now all that being said, I'm happy with how my truck pulls my camper. Its no EcoBoost, but is quiet, comfortable, and is tuned and has good power. If I am looking at a 13 or 14 Limited Expedition EL with the same 3.73 gears and tow package, will it be a similar towing experience or will the IRS muck all that up and make me regret getting rid of the pickup? I'll miss the truck bed for sure, but have access to one if needed. I'd be putting firewood, generator, fishing gear, etc into the back, and figure the long wheelbase of the EL will be best for towing my 25ft trailer, which is 29ft bumper to tongue. We live in the north west, so a majority of our camping trips are into the mountains. Sorry for the long windedness, but just don't want to make a $30k mistake. Also as a side note, by the numbers the suburban is actually longer than an EL, but the reverse is true of just looking at them side by side. I think the expedition feels bigger inside as well, and wish I could get by with a short wheelbase model strictly for parking lot manuvers and parking garages....

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to let go of the f150 for similar reasons.
I chose an EL because it's essentially a truck bed with a cap ( and six seats that lay flat ) .

With the tow package, you should be relatively pleased with it's performance. I'm sure there are others here with a better idea .

That said , I have towed a bobcat a few times with my 03 f150 4x4 stick shift and only noticed braking required advanced planning.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went and test drove a 13 limited EL with 65k miles on it. It has 3.73 gears and the integrated brake controller, along with all the other "limited" toys. I have to say, it was quieter and smoother than my F150, which has 15k less miles on it. I was very impressed and it wasn't even tuned. I'm assuming I can have my tune from 5* modified and loaded into the expy if I buy it since they have the same drivetrain. I'm more concerned about how much it will squat with my trailer on the back and if I'll have to get a special WD hitch to make things work. They're running the numbers at the dealership, but it might work out as a straight trade across for my F150 so that would be a win win.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would find an Ecoboost with the tow package and load leveling shocks. Then have 5* adjust your tune for the Ecoboost and really feel the power.

My 17 is tuned and it’s a beast.

Good luck with your purchase

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Welcome and just so you know the expedition isn't the same as the f150 in seating comfort, I drive a 2014 f150 and its 10x more comfortable to drive than the expedition, lower floor board makes night and day of a difference, also windowsills are lower on the f150, in comparison the expedition feels cramped now that I been driving the f150 for so long and I thought it was roomy when I acquired it two years ago

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
I dont know about the F150...but I stack wood, gens, lumber, furniture, kids bikes, critters, hunting/camping/ fishing gear, dogs, ect....its nice to have a dry cargo area for some things...not so good at times to have a roof...I have scrubbed hoof prints off my headliner a couple of times...I have a 4x8 trailer, hitch pan, and a cargo topper so there is a combo that always works...if you go with and expy get a good cargo mat and it should serve 85% of your needs. Good Luck!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't pulled any significant load (> 2000lbs) yet, but my little 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer feels like it's not even there whenever I pull it (unless it's empty, then it bounces around like crazy.)

I'm confident enough in the Expedition that I let my wife drive pulling the trailer across the country last summer, with around 2000 pounds of trailer and at least 1000 in extra weight in the cargo area. She was nervous, but said it was pretty much no different.

You'll need a WDH for that trailer on the Expedition (pretty sure you do on the F-150 too but I don't know) but I don't think there would be much difference in driving experience. I don't know if you're used to a full load of passengers and gear when pulling the trailer, but that would be something to take into account too. If you're looking in the 12-14 years, I would make sure you find one with auto-leveling air suspension. Some here might yell at me for that, but I have had 0 problems with mine and we love the smooth ride.

In short, no. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, new here but not new to Fords. My Wife's Envoy XL is getting long in the tooth and I'm looking for a replacement. Everything we've looked at with 3 rows (a necessity for my family) has been a joke (my kids are young but not small). We keep coming back to a suburban, Armada, or Expedition. My wife prefers the truck based SUVs, and the kids prefer them for the usable 3rd row.

I currently own a 10 F150 Platinum crewcab with Max Tow package and 50k miles on it (its a unicorn of trucks and I looked for over a year to find it). It sits 90% of the time since I have a focus for a commuter and only use the truck to pull our 6200lb (GVWR) camper (hence the low miles). My oldest daughter just got her first car, and now I've got more vehicles than drivers or garage space, so we're thinking of trading in the truck and buying an Expedition EL that can serve double duty as the grocery getter and the tow rig. It will fit in my garage (my truck does not), and will be used daily.

Now all that being said, I'm happy with how my truck pulls my camper. Its no EcoBoost, but is quiet, comfortable, and is tuned and has good power. If I am looking at a 13 or 14 Limited Expedition EL with the same 3.73 gears and tow package, will it be a similar towing experience or will the IRS muck all that up and make me regret getting rid of the pickup? I'll miss the truck bed for sure, but have access to one if needed. I'd be putting firewood, generator, fishing gear, etc into the back, and figure the long wheelbase of the EL will be best for towing my 25ft trailer, which is 29ft bumper to tongue. We live in the north west, so a majority of our camping trips are into the mountains. Sorry for the long windedness, but just don't want to make a $30k mistake. Also as a side note, by the numbers the suburban is actually longer than an EL, but the reverse is true of just looking at them side by side. I think the expedition feels bigger inside as well, and wish I could get by with a short wheelbase model strictly for parking lot manuvers and parking garages....
coolzzy, Welcome to the forum. I have a 17 EL I traded in an 05 standard wheel base. I can honestly tell you that it is very hard to notice the difference and I got used to in less than a week.

As far as towing is concerned the EcoBoost Expeditions can tow up to 9,000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. It will tow differently than your F150. The F150 has a solid axle and the Expeditions have a split axle so they are going to squat more than the F150. I have not done any heavy towing but the guys who have have towed 7,000 - 8,000 lbs up through the mountains with no problems.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the limited versions all have auto level suspension? I looked underneath and didn't see any air lines or bags in the spring gs of the 13. I'm going to look at another 13 limited today, and a 17 ecoboost xlt with 3.73 gears. Prices are close but the xlt only has backup cam and sensors, no other options.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the limited versions all have auto level suspension? I looked underneath and didn't see any air lines or bags in the spring gs of the 13. I'm going to look at another 13 limited today, and a 17 ecoboost xlt with 3.73 gears. Prices are close but the xlt only has backup cam and sensors, no other options.
They all have an option for auto leveling rear suspension using manual hydraulic shocks it is available on models except the Platinum models with the CCD suspension.

The XLT is the low end model. They can be configured with most of the options available standard on the Limited. I am partial to the limited with the Ecoboost so I would hold out for the Limited Ecoboost, but that's me.

Obviously you should get what you want. Ford dealers have access to Ford Leased vehicles that are turned in when they go out of lease. They are available to the dealerships through private auctions that occur every 2 weeks or so. You can get with your dealer and ask them to find what you want. They generally can find what you are looking for if you have patience to let them see what's coming up and work the system. I had them doing that before I bought the 17. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.