Will I be dissapointed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Load leveling just disguises an out of balance trailer setup. A properly set WDH will result in level towing where by both suspensions depress equally. Load leveling just cranks up the rear so it looks level but not an ounce is removed from the rear axle and distributed to the front axle (and back to the trailer axles).

Great for a load of bricks or your porcine friends in the cargo area. But doesn't remove an once of weight in this case either.

Set the WDH with this turned off and you'll be fine. It can take out the last 1/4 inch when hooked up to the trailer.

-- Chuck

Dude I'm aware of this!!!!! Me and you have gone back and forth 100 times on here about WDH's and travel trailers etc etc etc. Whether its a trailer hooked up or a load of bricks in the rear, sag is sag and a load leveling suspension will help. Even with a properly setup WDH the LLS is still of benefit.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, the manual even says you can use it with a WDH and it works very well, it just takes a little more time to set up.

They never act like one is a replacement for the other, because it’s not.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I drove a short wheelbase ecoboost expy today, that was probably a mistake because now I feel like I want one instead of a 13-14 model with the v8. My budget is less than 30k, so it looks like I need a nicely equipped 15 or 16 XLT EL, but all I seem to find are 13s and 17s.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger tonight, proud owner of a 17 ingot silver metallic EL with black leather interior, HD tow package and nav with sync 3. Certified pre owned with 33k miles. It was a little more than I wanted to pay and it took 2 hours of dickering over my trade value (it was worth the time they came up 6k from their original offer), but the wife is happy.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger tonight, proud owner of a 17 ingot silver metallic EL with black leather interior, HD tow package and nav with sync 3. Certified pre owned with 33k miles. It was a little more than I wanted to pay and it took 2 hours of dickering over my trade value (it was worth the time they came up 6k from their original offer), but the wife is happy.

Wow people who paid sticker for a new '17 must really hate you right now lol

How much was the price you negotiated (before tradein)?

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I paid 33k, I pick it up in a few days. I need to find some clip on tow mirrors, maybe get a new wdh sway hitch (I'm thinking husky TS 4 point), 5* tune, LT tires (it has those crappy stock wranglers on it right now), and some all weather floor mats. I'm thinking I'll also remove the center seat section in the 2nd row for easier 3rd row access.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
McKesh strap on mirrors have been in use on three different SUVs of mine since 2002. Highly recommended.

Equalizer (brand) WDH has been serving the same length of time on a 6000 pound trailer. I recall it's the 10,000 pound version. Needs some touch-up paint this year but that's it.

Light truck tires? For what?, certainly not needed for towing and they make the vehicle ride like, well, a truck (!) rather than a town car. Wranglers seem to have improved (they came on my '17 last July and I'm not in a hurry to change them) but I replaced the last set of these I had years ago with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. These come in P and LT, I always used P.

You can convert the 2d row to captains chairs with the arm rests and some carpet over the holes. I had a hard time finding the 2d row bench last summer as they all had the individual chairs which my dog hammock (multiple Dachshunds) won't handle.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LT tires for increased sidewall rigidity when towing. The wranglers are very soft most F150 owners (myself included) ditch them because they don't tow very stabile. The tires are like new so I may have to run them for awhile unless I feel them to be dangerous with the trailer in tow. I have a husky round bar wdh right now and have very minimal sway when adjusted properly, but I have a 157" wheelbase vs the 131" on the EL.