Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maztrim

Reaction score
Hey, I have an expedition 99, I had the issue with the torq bolts getting loose so the shifter not responding right, was coming home and it got to the point that I couldn't get it to start (I should have tightened them but I'm a bigger guy and put it off). Had to have it towed home, next day I tightened them down and the vehicle still will not start. Doing research online and in my hanes manual, I thought it was my neutral safety switch. When it was loose if I pushed up on the shift lever it would start, but then it would start just fine 90% of the time. I switched that and it didn't fix it, going through my hanes book they said it could be the ignition relay or ignition switch...switch both of those. Saying it could be my starter but really don't want to pull that to test if I can avoid it. All the connections seem to be solid, not sure where to go next unless it is pulling the starter to get tested. If that's not the problem however..what else can you guys suggest?

Everything powers on, when you turn the key it just doesn't do anything, like it's not in park. Won't start in park or neutral.

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
You will be better off troubleshooting the circuit to find the fault instead of tossing parts. In order to do this you will need a test light and digital meter - and know how to use them.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it cranks you need to check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. It's worth the investment.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey docraymund, he states:

"Everything powers on, when you turn the key it just doesn't do anything, like it's not in park. Won't start in park or neutral."

Doubt it is a fuel issue at this point.....

OP
OP
M

maztrim

Reaction score
Never had any experience with a test light or digital meter. Never had any electrical issues before =/

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never had any experience with a test light or digital meter. Never had any electrical issues before =/

Rather than tossing parts at it Invest in test meters and learn how to use them The money you save by finding the bad parts by proper troubleshooting will far outweigh the cost of tossing parts at the problem.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it cranks you need to check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. It's worth the investment.

The op states
"Everything powers on, when you turn the key it just doesn't do anything, like it's not in park. Won't start in park or neutral."

Your advice may be good but doesn't apply to the OP's problem at this point Being it won't crank over

OP
OP
M

maztrim

Reaction score
I will see if my friend can come over with his. Any specific areas I should check? Guessing around the starter?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should have a firewall mounted relay similar to the picture below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+starter+relay+expedition&biw=1120&bih=617&tbm=isch&imgil=AzmHLmQ0ywgqKM%3A%3BeC7iCxHmh5QNVM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%25253DGa4dH9AJz4o&source=iu&pf=m&fir=AzmHLmQ0ywgqKM%3A%2CeC7iCxHmh5QNVM%2C_&usg=__hvv4r6igaQJcgtAiRr8kY-OODqs=&ved=0ahUKEwismdDAiczOAhVL8CYKHc7gAMUQyjcIYg&ei=0j62V6zoEMvgmwHOwYOoDA#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:Cek7RBKuZm8LIjg4j4jfcFaU8I0K3IrZlWbUD-Xcl4taaDuTgmI7JyM2RxfbuqNb06uqYRwqIIxxa1rSE8Ix3AJi2CoSCTiPiN9wVpTwER2qhyEJMxqfKhIJjQrcitmVZtQR32E8sDN5yF4qEgkP5dyXi1poOxFn96HLvzJphioSCZOCYjsnIzZHEbpvV3aVFSFRKhIJF9u6o1vTq6oRaZEKZsqsSdQqEglhHCogjHFrWhGbNiNeDxQL4yoSCdITwjHcAmLYEes2TdlK7SdT&q=ford starter relay expedition&imgrc=CJ99VGeZkJ6DzM:

The small brown wire is the control wire for the relay. When you turn the ignition switch to "start", 12+ will be on that wire until the switch is released.

What to test:
Take a voltage reading of the battery - should be at least 12.4 volts
Test the voltage on the brown wire at the starter relay as described above. Your wire may be a different color. If you don't have 12 volts there the next step is to check the voltage into and out of the ignition switch.
Test voltage on the two large wires at the relay that connect to the large studs. One will be 12 volts and the other 0.