ZF5 S-47M 5 Speed Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It starts and shifts still no drive shaft

Attachments

• WIN_20150131_111912.jpg
    WIN_20150131_111912.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 81
  • WIN_20150131_202618.jpg
    WIN_20150131_202618.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 79

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update on my progress.
Found the pedal assembly at the least likely place. The old overpriced wrecking yard that treats everyone like crap, yeah they had one. And surprisingly enough, for a good price! While they were at it, I had them grab the F150 master cylinder.
Clutch fork, not as easy. Ended up just hitting the stealership. Found one on Amazon, but after the shipping charges, Ford was $2 more expensive and here the next day.
Now is the waiting game for Uncle Sam to give me my hard earned money back! It's going to cost a little more than I had anticipated. The ZF5 is 4" shorter than my 4r100. *facepalm* Now I get to do drivelines and exhaust... The factory crossover pipe goes between the tranny and t-case.
However, I think I caught a break! It appears as though my VSS comes off the back of the t-case. Woohoo!! Now I don't have to get all redneckery and build a VSS assembly.
Emailed 5 Star for a tuner. I think I need to beat on them a little to get a better deal. But having a tune to remove the automatic stuff will be nice.

It's looking like spring break will be the install week. When the time comes I'll shoot a bunch of pics and post a thread.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my headers back on had to remove the y pipe I will need custom exhaust and the rear o2 sensor can't be installed due to new location of front driveshaft flange and I still have yet to get a drive shaft or put the interior back together and I need to shorten my shift lever as I welded a bolt about an inch to long so it barley clears the steering wheel

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My driveshaft got made about a month ago and I am loving the manual life the 5.4 is such a beast with a manual behind it and the nv271 is a totally different animal from the 4406 this thing can tow a house I feel like and I couldn't be more pleased with how the swap came out

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got your swap finished!
Told you that you'd love the finished result. I know I do!

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be doing this if I had more time. I love the idea of a manual Expy. Bravo.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the pics for the people who say it aint so

Attachments

• FUCKINSURFACE - WIN_20150131_132812.jpg
    FUCKINSURFACE - WIN_20150131_132812.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 55
  • KIMG0027.jpg
    KIMG0027.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cruising up to Canada tommorow to pick up the T case shift parts so pics of the floor shifter coming shortly

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing how this all looks inside the truck once it's done.

I am thinking about dropping the 4R100 out of my truck and rebuilding this winter but a good 5 speed has me wondering if this is the way I should go.

I re-read the thread but I didn't gather whether it is possible to to retain the BW4406. Did you investigate that at all while you had the parts on the shop floor? I'm new to this platform so sorry if this is an obvious question; if the UN93 transfer case can't be used is there an F150 transfer case that works the same (i.e. dial switched on the dash)?

I'm all about keeping the interior as factory looking as possible with the center console. So that's where I've coming from with my questions.

My truck is a 2001.