Want real tow mirrors for your Expy? Here's how (lot of pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that it is my first real write up on any forum so be gentle lol. I hope that this will be beneficial to all of you and even if it isn't, give you some awesome pictures to look at!:flamingdevil: Anyone who has towed with their Expedition knows it's a very capable vehicle. When it is outfitted with the HD towing package, it can tow almost as much as the F150 (2006 Expy vs 2006 F150) but it is missing one important thing. Proper towing mirrors like the F150. For the longest time us Expy owners had to make do with the goofy looking slip on mirror extensions or just use the stock mirrors. That is until these bad boys showed up.

2003-10 Ford Expedition Mirror Pair - 1AMRP01443 at 1A Auto.com
2003-10 Ford Expedition Mirror Pair - 1AMRP01442 at 1A Auto.com

These mirrors are modeled after the 12th generation (2009-2014) F150 towing mirrors, but have the correct bases to fit our trucks. You can get the one optioned out with puddle, heat, and turn signal for $305 and ones only with power and puddles for $230. I took the plunge on the upgraded TT mirrors with heated glass and signal and figured I'd see what happens.

Tools you will need to do this procedure:
1/4" drive ratchet
11mm deep socket
10mm deep socket
7mm deep socket
Flathead screw driver
Torx&Phillips bits or screw drivers
small pick (optional;it came in handy for me)

Unboxing & First Impression
DSCN1061_zpsyvicrf1w.jpg
When I got home a big, heavy brown box awaited me at my front door. It's hard to see, but there is a full sized hardback book on it for scale.

If you think the stock mirrors are fair sized, these ones make them look tiny. Seriously, these things are huge! 1 qt of Mobil 1 shown for scale.
DSCN1064_zpsujcwoimg.jpg
DSCN1063_zpsyqbrvlq1.jpg

Removal of the stock mirrors
I have shown the step by step procedure for the passenger side door, but it is virtually the same on the drivers side, with the exception of one more plug to remove (mirror control.)
DSCN1084_zpslgpnaaj6.jpg
1. Remove the plastic trim around the door handle. Be careful when doing this as a screwdriver can seriously scratch up your plastic. Ford was kind enough to include a little notch in many of these trim pieces to make removing them easier.
DSCN1085_zpsorhhd4rv.jpg
2. With the top trim piece off, remove the window control switch bezel. Using the screw driver to pry with, it just popped right off.
DSCN1086_zpscn8xnbtx.jpg
3. Disconnect any connectors on the bezel. There will be two on the passenger side, and three on the drivers side, not including the mirror control.
DSCN1087_zpsagzhh2l1.jpg
4. Remove the small trim piece directly below the armrest. I used a pick for this instead of my Flathead.
DSCN1088_zps0uwqlyh3.jpg
5. With the cover removed, unscrew the two Torx screws.
DSCN1089_zpseicyrcu9.jpg
6. Remove the Phillips screw located at the top of the door panel on the side.
DSCN1090_zpscf33qsey.jpg
7. Using the 1/4" rachet and 7mm socket, remove two 7mm bolts on the lower lip of the door panel.
DSCN1091_zpsinnh3m3u.jpg
8. Using either the screw driver or a pick, pry the clip on the upper portion of the door panel out. Be careful with this step, as it can break easily.
DSCN1071_zpsggwoiruy.jpg
9. Now that all the screws and bolts are removed, simply grip the door panel and lift it up and out, removing it from the door.
DSCN1096_zps9teopktq.jpg
10. Disconnect the 16 pin connector from the stock mirrors to the harness in the door. Some patience may be needed with this, just keep pulling until you get it. I did not have to use any tools to get this disconnected.
DSCN1072_zps1zhelcm7.jpg
11. Remove the 3 11mm bolts holding the stock mirror in place. Keep in mind that once you loosen these up the mirror will likely fall, so it is best to have a buddy help you or simply hold the mirror with one hand.
DSCN1101_zpssxfqbo1b.jpg
Repeat this process for the opposite door. You'll end up with this

Now it's time to install your new tow mirrors! The installation process is largely the same, however there are a few minor differences.
DSCN1095_zps00efzisz.jpg
To attach the mirrors, use the 10mm socket to install the three nuts that came with the kit.
DSCN1074_zpsserzq5v6.jpg
Depending on the year of your Expy, different pin placement may be needed. This is the diagram the manufacturer provided with the package.
DSCN1075_zpsdyld7apn.jpg
Enlarged picture for the 2003-2006 trucks.
DSCN1094_zpsg0mwfsyd.jpg
New mirror connector.
DSCN1076_zpsl3oj3yyq.jpg
Now that you have the pins in place and the mirror bolted on, simply plug the 16 pin connector in with the one in your door.

OP
OP
cman1120

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that is left to do now is reinstall the door panels, which is simply the reverse of removal. These door panels I found are extremely easy to take off and put back on compared to earlier model Fords I have owned/own.

Now the moment of truth, what do they look like?:pics-****:

Mirrors not extended
DSCN1102_zps2fsjavxy.jpg
DSCN1115_zpsh3mlickm.jpg
DSCN1116_zps42vg6m1p.jpg
DSCN1109_zps79kr7f5u.jpg
DSCN1106_zps5f41f3lp.jpg
DSCN1104_zpspinxl6i6.jpg

Extended
DSCN1107_zps8tv0jt4o.jpg
DSCN1108_zpsnp9ifzj4.jpg

Congratulations, you now have proper tow mirrors on your Expy!

Conclusion

Some options may not work on your truck without wiring them in (ie heated glass and signals on an XLT) because our trucks didn't come wired for them. I will have to wire up the heated glass function as well as the turn signal function to get all the features on my mirrors working properly, and I will report back my findings.The only thing I would caution you about is these mirrors seem to shake quite a bit more on the highway than the stock mirrors do, so be sure to tighten them down really good when you install them. When I go back in I will re-tighten them as I bet most of my vibration comes from them not being as tight as they could be. You could also add rubber washers or pads between the bolts and the door to try and decrease the vibration. Overall, these mirrors feel like a quality piece and have absolutely excellent visibility so I would rate them highly based on that fact alone. Now admire your truck and how good it looks with a set of real mirrors on it! The Dodge guys will now envy you even more haha. :big_banana_Dance:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
These are now permanent and the truck exceeds 80" wide from mirror to mirror you might need clearance lights. Look into the vehicle code for Colorado. but it's a nice install looks good

OP
OP
cman1120

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done any wiring yet so I CAN take em off if need be. I took what you said into consideration and I haven't found anything definitive yet, but I think that maximum trailer width can be up to 102" maximum. I also think in every state except for maybe California towing mirrors do not go towards the maximum width of the vehicle. When I find something definitive I will post it up. Thank you for bringing up that point as it is something most of us don't even think about.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent walkthrough cman and love the look of these [emoji106][emoji106] they're coming soon on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cman1120

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Gruz it was my first time doin one so I was hopeful y'all could decipher what I was saying lol. Which mirrors did you order? Make sure to post pics when you get them!

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! Looking forward to putting these on as soon as I get them!

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gruz it was my first time doin one so I was hopeful y'all could decipher what I was saying lol. Which mirrors did you order? Make sure to post pics when you get them!

Haven't yet :( but when a few more parts come in these are next! They will be the same as yours i believe, $225 with just the Heat, Puddle light, and power glass. Will absolutely be using this thread to help me remove the door panel without breaking something too.

OP
OP
cman1120

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was actually looking for how to do it but I wasn't able to find anything for our trucks so I figured I'd make one so y'all dont have to start taking things apart with no idea what you're doing like I did :D