1998 Expedition driveshaft questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb

Reaction score
I am looking for a little help on a problem I have with the driveshaft on my 1998 Expedition.

I recently bought the vehicle from a friend after having a mechanic do a quick quality check on it. The mechanic said it needed a new rear universal joint, so I decided to attempt the fix myself.

While I was pounding out the old joint, I accidentally broke off about 1/4 of the lip that that holds the u joint retaining pin on the driveshaft side. I finished installing the new u joint, and the retaining pin fits in the damaged area, but I'm not confident it will hold.

So now I think I need a new driveshaft, but I am having trouble finding one to order.

Is there a way to fix that retaining pin so it will stay in? Or, do I just need to find a new driveshaft? Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the driveshaft since it is under a high level of torque and rpm. You will have a bad day if it fails. Check junk yards.

Last edited:
OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply stamp. I was thinking the same thing.

Could I take the end cap off of a used driveshaft, and weld it to my driveshaft since that's the only broken part? Or, is that a horrible idea?

I'm bummed that I ruined the old one. It was a stupid mistake.

I was trying to save a little money, and learn a little about the mechanics of my rig at the same time. I want it to be safe though. I'm new at this and just want to do it right.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is what a driveline shop would do to repair it. Plus they would balance it. Not something the average home mechanic should mess with.

OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
So could the average home mechanic install a used driveshaft and then take it in to be balanced at a driveline shop?

Edit: used

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure, but it may not even need to be balanced. OEM driveshafts are balanced. That's what the small square or round counterweight is welded to the driveshaft tube.

Don't feel bad. I installed new Spicer joints in mine and it was a real pain. I used a press to make it easier. The centering joint in the double cardan was ridiculous to disassembly and reassembly. I destroyed one new joint and had to get another one to finish the job.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you buy a used drive shaft on the same model year you don't have to have it balanced, what is there to balance? nothing.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you buy a used drive shaft on the same model year you don't have to have it balanced, what is there to balance? nothing.

Are you serious. I take it that what your saying is as long as it came of the same year and model then its balanced.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to at least check the balance to make sure that the used one is balanced and not go through the work of replacing the bad one with another bad one.

OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
Thank you for the help everyone. I went to a few junkyards in the area but I can't seem to find the exact driveshaft I'm looking for.

There is a double cardan joint on my driveshaft, but not on others of the same year and model ('98 expedition Eddie bauer 5.4L). Is a driveshaft with a double cardan joint necessary for the fix? Or, can I replace mine with a driveshaft without a double cardan joint, using the entire unit from differential attachment to transfer case slip yoke?

Thanks

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They would work but you may or may not have driveline vibration. The double cardan joint allows more angle. If you can pick one up pretty cheap it would be worth a try.