2003 Expedition Radio 12v Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xsalsaraynex

Reaction score
Hey ford expy owners,
I need some help. And I'm not sure if it's been asked but it probably has. Searching was just taking too long for me.

The vehicle:
2003 ford expedition eddie bauer with the sub.

The problem :
I installed a jvc av71bt. Using a harness, there was no wire to wire work done other than the radio harness to the aftermarket harness which plugs into the factory plugs. The radio worked fine for a few days and then suddenly failed to turn on period.
I checked fuse 7, 22 and 31. None of those fuses were blown - I tested with a DMM and they had continuity.
I found out that removing fuse 31 and re inserting fixes the power problem and the radio turns back on for another couple days.
Following a couple days the same situation happens - no 12v.

Anyone experience this?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time the radio loses power use your dvm set on dc volts and check for power on both sides of the fuse, ignition in run. If I remember correctly the 2nd gens use a "funky" fuse box that has had trouble in the past. You may want to take a close look at it for burn marks or signs of overheating.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also make sure your power wire to the radio is good to go too...a couple ppl have had the need to replace that as well

OP
OP
X

xsalsaraynex

Reaction score
Next time the radio loses power use your dvm set on dc volts and check for power on both sides of the fuse, ignition in run. If I remember correctly the 2nd gens use a "funky" fuse box that has had trouble in the past. You may want to take a close look at it for burn marks or signs of overheating.

The prongs on the fuse were browned. Is that an indication of me having a funky fuse box?

OP
OP
X

xsalsaraynex

Reaction score
What are your abilities with electrical & electronics?

Pretty good. I install amps and stuff on the regular. I've just never had this particular issue. That would solve it though right? Seeing as how it is no longer running through the factory wire which works with fuse 31.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer to repair the factory wiring instead of running a new wire. That way you maintain accuracy to the factory wiring diagrams.

The fuse box will expand the female connectors the fuses use when they are overheated. This will increase the current load due to less contact with the fuse which keeps adding to the problem. You can disassemble the fuse box to inspect the pc board inside, repair any damaged traces, clean & close the female fuse connectors enough so that the fuse has good contact.