Spacer Lift Fronts 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday i tried installing a 3.5/2.5 spacer lift by myself. Its possible but not recommended. Could of used an extra pair of hands a few times. The instruction that came with the front spacers kind of suck. Had pictures and said do this do that but weren't all that helpful. Luckily the rear spacer instructions were nice and gave bolt measurements, which was helpful. a list of tools used
1. 30mm(bottom strut bolt), 21mm(steering shaft and top antiroll bar), 19mm(bottom antiroll bar) all 1/2in sockets
2. 14mm(top strut bolts) 10mm(used to hold bolt from spinning) 1/4in socket
3. crescent wrench(also used to stop bolt from turning and to tighten spacer to strut)
4. vice grips(used to turn bolt once the inside bolt started to turn)
5. 2 3ton jack stands
6. 2 ton floor jack

Not going to give a play by play, since must of it is common knowledge(like placing jack stands, loosening lugs on ground before lifting, etc.). Most of the process is fairly easy. I took me like 2hrs on first wheel and about 35minutes on the second wheel. So I'm just going to list the problems that i had.

One major problem was trying to get the anti roll bar loose. I was able to get the nut off but couldn't get the bolt loose from the knuckle. So i had to try and get the bottom bolt that goes through the bottom control arm. That nut came loose to certain point than the bolt started to turn, and since it is in a small area a little bigger than the socket could use other tools to keep from turning. Got it as loose as possible.

The spinning bolt problem happened on several bolts. The upper control and the steering shaft(which i removed just make it easier to deal with strut). It is a simple fix. i used a 10mm socket and with wrench or a crescent wrench to hold the bolt as i used a vise grip to loosen or tighten the nut.

Can use the jack to lift the suspension when trying to put the bolt back into upper control arm.

I tried to do the back suspension as well yesterday but couldn't break the 30mm lower strut nut loose. So its going to my mechanic tomorrow to be finished up. So right now i have a 2nd gen expy with a cali lean/ pre runner look.

Pic 1 is right before beginning
Pic 2 is upper control apart and can see jack stand in background holding up other side of truck
Pic 3 is strut out
Pic 4 is spacer installed on strut
Pic 5 is strut with spacer reinstalled.

Attachments

• expy 3.jpg
    expy 3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 730
  • expy 4.jpg
    expy 4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 711
  • expy 5.jpg
    expy 5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 837
  • expy 8.jpg
    expy 8.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 883
  • expy 7.jpg
    expy 7.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:
OP
OP
tallsville

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are some pics before and after.
Pic 1 before
Pic 2 After with cali lean
Pic 3 side view

Attachments

• IMG704.jpg
    IMG704.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,507
  • expy 1.jpg
    expy 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,458
  • expy 2.jpg
    expy 2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,433

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
about damn time. i like it like that though. haha for as much hassle this lift has givin you i bet you could have just called a shock company and they could have custom made you shocks to your specs. haha once you get the rears put together you should come down. i want to do one last horah before selling this thing for good.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm... When I installed my truxx 3/2, it was a piece of cake.. All I need to do was to make sure to remove the front sway links, and everything dropped and popped right in...

All in all... You did it :head3:

OP
OP
tallsville

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that was the problem mindgame i couldn't get the antiroll/swaybars to let go. otherwise the install would have been easier. i wonder if the extra spacer height made it more difficult since my spacers are a little bigger than the truxx, mine is lifting about 3.5 in were as the truxx is lifting about 2.75. and as far as the back i guess 10 years of build up on made it not want to break loose. but my truck will be done when i get back from vegas. Got to go help rent out gf mothers house. so if any one in vegas knows someone who needs to rent a house. :whymewhyme:

and btw still jealous of the rize lift you have. hopefully i can find one hidden somewhere when i am able to afford it.

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
btw still jealous of the rize lift you have. hopefully i can find one hidden somewhere when i am able to afford it.

Thanks... Love it.. but it is starting to become a huge money pit... Due to the increase in height, Rise state that it is ok to use the rear stock shaft... Well over time, the increase in shaft angle stressed out both ujoint and reverse slip yoke on the transfer case side.. I've ordered another shaft with a double cardan....

The price to pay to feel good... bad enough I'm already filling 2x a week..
*sigh*

:head3:

OP
OP
tallsville

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got back from vegas last night. and went over to mechanic and picked up the expy. he cursed me because he had trouble getting the rears on. The lower control wouldn't drop down far enough for easy install and when doing it by yourself it is a struggle. But it now has the lift on it. So now im part of the lifted club. :dogpile:

OP
OP
tallsville

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mindgame already have the tires. im running 285/70/17 or 33" got them in February. Now with lift no rubbing on the inner fenderwell plastic. Now i have my full turning radius back. here is a pic of it lifted. in a small mound on the dirt so doesn't look that lifted.

added a photo so you can see the difference on the street. same place as with the cali lean photos.

Attachments

• exppy 11.jpg
    exppy 11.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 982
  • expy12.jpg
    expy12.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,377
Last edited:

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking good talls, although the Cali lean was unique. Now remove the running boards and make it look taller.