19 ince lcd touch screen project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok heres the one to go along with my radio relocation and the basis for having to relocate the radio a/c controls vents and 12 volt port / cigarette lighter.
heres the beginning

start by cutting everything out that is not needed anymore
(note be careful not to break the air box behind where the radio was located like i did will have to break out the trusty J.B. weld for that one)

7284523D-orig.jpg

test fit

E6C69C2B-orig.jpg

971BB0B6-orig.jpg

7C9CA26E-orig.jpg

9DFA2976-orig.jpg

0442F642-orig.jpg

this one almost didnt get uploaded
the first of the cigarrette lighter relocation

CC44D5B0-orig.jpg

sorry for the poor quality pics and for not taking more pics as i was cutting things out for more on the radio relocation see this post
http://www.expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=15398
and as ive been discussing there the fiberglass is yet to come i will do my best to take pics of the whole proces.
there are a few thing i have to deside on before i get started on the fiberglassing
1. what to mount the lcd to either the dash from behind or to the top shell thats going to be fiberglass. there are pro's and con's to both ways.
2. to cap off or to build new custom vents
3. where to put the a/c controls
4. how to get my sceleton/mold built for the fiberglassing

ill post more when i figure more out or do some more work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much work is it to relocate the cigarette lighter?

not to much if that is all you do. i believe if you just pull the dash apart you can get to where i put it. its only a few inches below where it was stock so the wire reaches without problems. that is the reason i put it there i was tired of building my own harnesses. idk if that helps you out or not. let me know. also its a odd ball size i used a 3/4 paddle drill bit and had to wiggle it around to make the whole just a little bit bigger to fit.

also by just pull the dash apart i mean pull the radio the radio surround the cluster surround and the top of the dash that is above the cluster.
so i use the words "not much" cause its all bolt and clips rather that cutting big chunks out.

sorry guys didn't get to work on anything today i had "work" to do.

edit: if i remember right there is a bit of plastic where the factory apm is that i had to cut to get it to fit all the way in maybe if you put it a little higher that may not be a problem.

edit 2: the other thing i forgote was that i ct them out of the plastic piece they were in just cause i wasnt using it again so idk how hard they are to get out of the original piece

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monster CarPC?

no thats just a radio....... j/k
no really 19 inch touch with
the stats of the board im using
asus M4A89GTD PRO
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/

processor athlon II X4 3.0 ghz
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 640 - ADX640WFK42GM (ADX640WFGMBOX).html

with 8 gigs of ddr 3 ram
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8.html

and power
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-200W-24...ps=63&clkid=6975716438159169178#ht_4599wt_934
or
http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX
or along those lines

either a 16 gig solid state hdd that i have laying around for the os or ill get another solid state for it idk yet
and a 500 gig usb external for what ever music movies and what ever i need on it to make it easier to transfer that data from my home nas.
will also have all the needed blue tooth and wifi for what ever i need be it tether to my phone or just a hotspot im sitting near.
edit: note all the parts listed are parts i have just laying around from recent pc upgrade all but the power supply i dont want to use a inverter if i dont have to.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...a lot of work and impressive...cant wait to see the finish product due to the fact that my initial thought was....WHY? you doing shows with this as the season is about to kick off? for #3...put you control in the armrest compartment or make a custom piece for it where the cupholder is

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow...a lot of work and impressive...cant wait to see the finish product due to the fact that my initial thought was....WHY? you doing shows with this as the season is about to kick off? for #3...put you control in the armrest compartment or make a custom piece for it where the cupholder is

i might do shows at a latter time lol but prob not. this is mostly just cause i can. i like having something no one else has that and im a geek so what better than going all out on a car pc. you may say why but i say why the hell not. i want to keep the cup holders in the center the ones up on the dash are already gone. they might go in with the radio. the bigest pain there is the vent control is vacuum driven and i hate vacuum lines. i just had another idea if i put them just below the screen and work them into the fiberglass as individual controls rather than one unit and design my own control symbols and what not.
i like you cant wait to see it finished but it seems between my work and my wife im might not have time for my projects

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
update

small update today i was wronge i got a few hrs to work on sanding before the sun went down. shock my wife actually wanted to help she sanded for about an hour or so lol but i got a good two maybe three hours in not much but if i get another day with a few hours i will have prep sanding done i hope.

854F19DA-orig.jpg

i think fiberglassing this small piece and building between it and the larger piece above is not going to be the easiest

66A374C0-orig.jpg

and for tye center its getting done just to make it all flow and to get rid of a bunch of holes from old 15 ince mount and other things that were in there at some point the external hdd will either go here or with the radio also might get usb ports not sure yet

639B938E-orig.jpg

thats it for now but more to come at some point. heck i might just take a few days off to get it all done. but the again who am i kidding i cant afford to and probably wouldnt know what to do with myself if i wasnt working everyday and im to indecisive to get it done all at once ill probably change my mind on the details 100 times. if you cant tell i am a perfectionist.