01 expedition problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcexped

Reaction score
I have an 2001 expedition 4.6 thats giving me a problem. It started with a misfire on #3 and I replaced the stock coil, but I found that the plug was not torqued down it was loose. When I pulled the plug part of the electrode was missing? So, I replaced both and it ran fine for awhile. Later the motor started idling like it was missing and lacked a bit of power. The CEL light came on again and then I decided to bite the bullit and take to the dealer. The mechanic ran a leakdown test and said #3 intake valve was bad as it ran a 22%. His repair was to either replace the cylinder head for 3500.00 or a new engine at 5400.00. Neither option is an option as I am recently laidoff. Is this a true problem? as I see from alot of posts that a bad valve is rare to happen. I have routinly maintained this car as I think this car is great. I have tried seafoam, thinking its carbon issue holding the valve? Also tried fuel injector cleaners in the gas tank thinking its a clogged fuel injector with both not making a difference. I don't want to sell this vehicle but I might have to in the future for fiancal reasons and want to be able to affordably fix it before I sell it (Better if engine runs well). Any suggestions would be appreciated

OP
OP
T

tcexped

Reaction score
Expedition troubles

Thanks Redranger91xlt,

I think at first I will try a few tests first. I will start by checking for vacuum leaks, EGR, Injector, EGR, PCV and try to clean the MAF sensor. I can't afford to throw parts at it and asking a second opinion is 80.00 at the dealerships. I really can't grasp as to why the mechanic at the dealer says its a valve problem as I think it would back fire or would lack any power while driving. It just has a slight misfire and stumbles at 40-50 MPH and runs fine after 50MPH. Wouldn't a bad valve make the engine run very rough at all speeds? If anyone has any ideas on what it could be or what additional checks I could do or any suggestions I am listening.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
During the leak down test, while he had the cylinder pressurized, he should have listened to find out where the problem is.

If you can hear air leaking when you listen to the throttle body - leaky intake valve.
If you hear it leaking out of the exhaust pipe - leaky exhaust valve.

If you hear it leaking out of the engine oil fill - bad piston rings.

Also, leak down tests are easy to mess up. I agree that you should have someone else look at it.

4x4dad

Reaction score
Does anyone think that a missing electrode on #3 spark plug is just coincidence that he has a #3 bad valve??? Maybe the missing part of the spark plug had to go somewhere? Like out one of the valves. I'm fairly sure that if the valve tried to close, with the electrode was in the way, it would cause damage.....but that's just a wild guess.

I don't think it needs a new cylinder head, probably needs the valve/valves replaced. Hopefully the valve seat was not damaged but....it probably was.

EastCoast4x4

Reaction score
Does anyone think that a missing electrode on #3 spark plug is just coincidence that he has a #3 bad valve??? Maybe the missing part of the spark plug had to go somewhere? Like out one of the valves. I'm fairly sure that if the valve tried to close, with the electrode was in the way, it would cause damage.....but that's just a wild guess.

I don't think it needs a new cylinder head, probably needs the valve/valves replaced. Hopefully the valve seat was not damaged but....it probably was.

OK, thankfully someone else caught that too! It is very possible that you have a bad valve as that electrode would have had to go somewhere, and I am very certain that it didn't come down past the piston, which only leaves out the exhaust or intake valve.

QUESTION: did you tell the mechanic about the missing electrode? if so, this could have easily swayed his diagnosis. If not, then I would tend to believe him.

HOWEVER: you don't need a new motor if this is the case, nor a new head most likely. You have several different options. First I would look around for a local machine shop (should be in the yellow pages) and see if you can find someone to replace the valve seals and valves on your head. Be sure to tell them that you are going to take the head off and bring it to them!!! Oh, and TAKE THE HEAD OFF AND BRING IT TO THEM!!!! It isn't a hard job by any means. Once you get a price quote from them, then call a junk yard and price out a junk head from a truck out there. You should be somewhere in the 150-200 range to get all of this done, not in the thousands. Hope that helps!