'04 EB 5.4 - Transfer case issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millwoodva

Reaction score
New here..First post..
Recently purchased with 204k miles. Shifts through all gears fine.
At 50mph when modulating the throttle, a "tinny like" rattling noise is heard.
It sounded like a heatshield against the exhaust, though slight felt through the pedal. Over the past 500 miles, the frequency is happening at lower speeds. While parked, I switched to 4H and immediate clunky, nochy(sp) gear action.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Jeff

ps: Can the transfer case be disconnected from the drivetrain temporarily?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow... Uncommon issue I would guess then. Odd.
Yup all alone.
Check the transfer case motor. It could act like it is fully engaging when it is not. Just one of the many thing I have see on these threads. use the search box top right, put in the keywords different ways until you have results.

Welcome to the forum

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might this be two different problems - a) transfer case shifting, and b) some weird sound that seems associated with the throttle assembly? Like Yupster, the most common transfer case problem these have is the shift motor. Thats an easy fix (see Youtube). If it is not that, likely you are in for a t-case rebuild. I would drain out a small sample of the t-case fluid - if it looks dark and smells burned, it might not have ever been changed and would suggest a rebuild is needed (I do mine every 60k). Regarding the tinny sound and weird throttle feel, I don't know, but I would start with a visual inspection of the throttle cable and throttle body assembly. IS the cable installed properly, binding on something or kinked? The throttle body might be dirty, which could I guess cause a weird feel, altough I have not heard of that causing noises. I don't have silver bullets but here are some ideas.

Kenerator

Reaction score
With 204k mi, it would be worth checking all the vacuum lines. Especially the big elbow on the back of the intake (I can’t remember if it’s connected to the throttle body or the intake manifold, buts it’s back there.) Check all the rubber elbows, hard lines, and connection points. There could be weak vacuum and the, “heat shield rattling“ sound could be one or both of the hubs not fully engaging. They are held out of engagement by vacuum. When there is weak vacuum the hubs start to engage, but can’t fully and the teeth skip across each other and make that type of sound.
If you plan to keep the vehicle and work on it yourself, invest in a smoke machine. If you don’t have a vacuum leak now, you will at some time in the future. A smoke machine makes quick work of finding the leak(s).
Good luck!