04 stereo install questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an o4 eddie bauer, with 6 disk in dash changer. It has the stock sub also, and no navigation or dvd stuff.

I want to replace the stereo with something aftermarket, but not sure which harness I need. I have a few questions that will help me figure out how to install it.

Does the sub use high level or low level inputs on it's amp? Does the sub amp have a switched power lead from the stereo? Does the stock head unit normally supply all the wattage to the 4 speakers, or is the front system also amplified separately?

I'm probably gonna just hard wire everything without buying the harness, I always end up getting the wrong one anyway. But I don't know what wire colors go where...I've searched a LOT and can't find much info that seems to help me.

I haven't settled on any particular radio yet. Ideas are welcome. I'm just looking for something I can plug my Galaxy Note 2 into and listen to everything like pandora, Sirius, mp3 etc all from my phone. Bluetooth would be nice also, but I want to spend very little as possible. I know that the sub needs low freq input, so running high level speaker outputs to the stock sub amp wont work right. Maybe someday I'll swap the sub amp and speaker and get one with a built in crossover. BUT not now.

There were some nice looking stereos for under a hundred bucks at the local mart store. ......​

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is WAY easier to just use the metra harness for this as it comes with both plugs needed to make the amp and sub work. The sub is fed from factory is fed high level and filtered at the amp. using this kit and the SUB out on a new deck it will sound way better.

Stock No. 70-5521 FORD 03-UP AMP HARNESS

70-5521.gif

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a basic Pioneer HU today with HD radio built in. Install was cake, but the sub portion wasn't perfect. I experimented using the high level speaker outputs to the factory amp. The stock amp is not filtering very much at all. It basically played full range, voice and everything. Sounded HORRIBLE, and was waaay too loud on the sub itself. So I used the RCA output on the HU. Now the problem is opposite, the volume is much lower than the sub ordinarily would be. The stereo has the option to use the rca as a subwoofer output, and to filter to low freq etc. I did all that, but the bass is still very weak compared to when it was stock.

So it's working, but the only benefit so far is getting the use of my phone being connected directly to the stereo. I'm thinking now I have to replace the sub amp and speaker itself.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pioneer DEH-X56HD, nothing special or powerful. But I can at least plug in my phone, use pandora, or sirius xm from the app on the phone, play mp3's off the phone, or cd player, or plug in a USB memory stick with songs stored on it. Now I have a little 1 DIN storage compartment under the stereo too....

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go into the Sub control in the deck what are the settings at? ie cut off level, output level and slope?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69