'05 Expedition question about plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bivenspack

Reaction score
I was a member on the other forum and followed a couple of posts/links to this new forum so now I'm on both.

I'm getting ready to do a plug change on my '05 Eddie Bauer 4WD Expedition. It has 59K on it and as far as I know the plugs have never been changed (I bought it used). It has the 5.4 3V engine. Are the plugs I need the Motorcraft SP515 plugs? I plan on buying the broken plug extractor tools (Cal Van 39100 and 39200 tool sets). Any others that I'll need? Also, should the COPs be replaced now or will they be good 'til the next tune up? I've always done all my own work but this is the first time on a 5.4 3V. We're getting ready for a move cross country, about 3K from CA to FL, so any other things I should address now besides the obvious brake inspection, fuel filter, oil change, tire rotation? I've already completed the Gott's mod and K&N.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you wanna change COPs... check out globalautomotive or UNEEK on ebay... can get 8 Cops for around 100 shipped... can't hurt to change them... then save your original 8 if you have a problem in the future to use as a spare....

good link to 3V plug change http://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...rkplug-change-2004-2008-5-4-3v-step-step.html

before the trip might wanna check coolant condition and also diff fluid condition... besides that if you check everything out you should be good to go

kentv6

Reaction score
I was a member on the other forum and followed a couple of posts/links to this new forum so now I'm on both.

I'm getting ready to do a plug change on my '05 Eddie Bauer 4WD Expedition. It has 59K on it and as far as I know the plugs have never been changed (I bought it used). It has the 5.4 3V engine. Are the plugs I need the Motorcraft SP515 plugs? I plan on buying the broken plug extractor tools (Cal Van 39100 and 39200 tool sets). Any others that I'll need? Also, should the COPs be replaced now or will they be good 'til the next tune up? I've always done all my own work but this is the first time on a 5.4 3V. We're getting ready for a move cross country, about 3K from CA to FL, so any other things I should address now besides the obvious brake inspection, fuel filter, oil change, tire rotation? I've already completed the Gott's mod and K&N.

The plugs are good for 100K unless your having problems.

OP
OP
B

bivenspack

Reaction score
The plugs are good for 100K unless your having problems.

No problems now, but I've read several of the forum posts about leaving them in until 100K and then people having problems. It doesn't run rough or hesitate. I was just getting ready for service and thought I'd tackle it now. Normally I do not change the plugs in my vehicles this early because I keep them well serviced and we drive enough long trips to keep the build-up caused by short drives a bay.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while they are good up to 100K the longer you wait increases the chance for the plugs to snap because of the carbon build-up on the threads of the plugs... but the link has good tips to helping prevent the dreaded plug snapping

kentv6

Reaction score
I work at ford and and have had them brake at 50k as much as 150k. They don't have any more problems at 100k+.