05 Expy, No third gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11b4v

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Transmission, 2005 Ford Expedition AWD/4WD, 182K, no third gear. Trasmission Rerverses, shifts from 1, 2 then nothing in third (revs through). No codes/CEL. Fluids level good, (no metal particles seen) no odor, no leaks, etc.

Before dropping the tranny for a rebuild/replacement, is there a possibility that a) Speed or Transmissision Range Sensor? or, b) a possibility can can find / fix a problem by dropping the pan? Valve body, Servo's/Accumulators?

Im also thinking of swapping in a used tranny instead of going through a rebuild. Thoughts?

Any tips/suggestions with removing it from the truck?

Much thanks all, mv

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I would remove the pan before you do anything. It will let you see what kind of condition the transmission is in. As far as rebuild vs used. How long do you want to keep the truck? Used is probably going to be fine, but if you plan on replacing the engine when that goes as well I would just rebuild the transmission. No sense in having a good motor on an iffy trans. If you plan on dumping the truck when the motor goes or before that, then just go used. That would be the way I would approach it.