06 EB heating issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike nadeau

Reaction score
It heats to well. If I turn the temp anything above 68 it gets to hot. Turning it down to 60 just keeps it cool. Since this digital setting goes from 90 to 60 I would think I should have more leway? Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like the controls are bad or possibly a temperature sensor. You can take it through a self test but I don't know the trouble codes. This is from a 99 expy. I would think it would be the same with a 06.

The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated. To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given. If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation. To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank). To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
Ran the test got no return codes? Any ideas? Everything seems to work accept this wierd issue.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

The air temp sensor is on the instrument panel near the All Wheel Drive selector switch. You can pull the bezel from around the radio and up over instrument panel. I found mine to be covered in dust. When I blew it off, I noticed that the A/C cooled better. The dust might be insulating the sensor so it has to get very cool or very warm before it senses it.

I hope that is of help to you.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
So I checked the sensor and it was fine. No dust, the only other thing I can think of is the freon level. Besides taking it to a shop to have tested for $100, which I dont have right now, how about testing with the simple bottle top guage and whether or not testing freon at 5° will work out real well? I can say my rear unit started hissing alot more than it used to. Before we never heard any sounds.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
That brings a question to mind. So if this is the case why do we have the option to activate 5he ac while having the heat on (I do mot know if this is the same for a manual control)? Just for arguments sake.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When its raining and the temp is above 32, the compressor will come on with the heat to dehumidify the air to reduce window fogging.

OP
OP
M

mike nadeau

Reaction score
Problem solved!
Both high and low side shrater vavles where leaking. A good suck job and then some 134 and we are 45° on the ac side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev