06 Expedition Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaydee427

Reaction score
The thing I haven't checked on, and I think I saw it here, is that after they're removed, are there new re designed, one piece, long reach replacements? I understand how they break from all the You Tubes. Mine I'm sure are the originals. I only have 48K on my '05. But I'm not clear on whether the originals are three piece plugs and whether there are new, one piece designs to replace them. I might be confusing all this with information that the 3 valve heads were re designed for '07 and up trucks to take normal plugs. Also, while on the subject, there are You Tubes for "factory recommended" cool engine, NON impact removal, and then ones that show a guy removing them from a hot engine with an impact, stating that he never had a problem with this method. What gives?

Although I only have 44K on my '05 Limited, you still gotta keep in mind that they've been in there for 7 years now. More miles = more carbon build-up. More time = more carbon build-up. I will be replacing mine this Spring or Summer. I also understand that the replacement, one-piece plug is the Champion 7989 Double Platinum Plug. Somebody correct me if I am wrong....thanks.

OP
OP
Clemson82

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update

Hi Guys, Just wanted to give an update to my original post about the spark plugs in my wife's 06 expy. After calling around and getting prices at several dealers, I finally brought it to the one that was the cheapest (sort of). They wanted $350, plus $100 for the first plug that broke, and $50 for each additional one that broke. After all was said and done, the #2 and the #7 broke, so we're at $500, but they said they would give me a break on some of the other things that needed to be done, like the fuel filter, coolant flush, and trans fluid service. Should be able to pick it up this afternoon. I asked them to keep the old plugs for me, so hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of them later for those interested. Thanks!

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got lucky with two plugs breaking. Four broke on mine.

Reaction score
Ford does not do anything about this it seems like a lot of people have the same problem?

I call a local shop here in central FL and they wanted 390 and 88 bucks extra for any plugs that broke. They said they have never broken a plug before. The dealership said 350ish but did not say mention anything about the cost if a plug broke.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im telling ya, the dealership here in Hinesville Georgia was real good to me. they charged me $45.00 for a spark plug removal. I had them do the one that was misfiring, but gonna take it back this week for the rest to get done.

but one thing i dont understand is how the dealership should charge you for something THEY broke while removing... hmmm

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, Some great information here. I will look for a one piece Champion double platinum
plug. I asked around and there are no iridium plugs available for this 3 valve. They would further extend a plug change interval, that along with being one piece and using properly placed antisieze, shouldn't be a nightmare to replace later on.
Now, next important question. If I'm lucky, I may get the chance to do a plug change twice on my '05. It's silly for any non professional to spend the $150 or so for the tools that remove the original plugs if broken. I want to have these on hand when I attempt to remove them. The local Advanced Auto, known for lending tools out to customers who buy their products, has no such tool to loan, although they do sell them. Is there anyone on this forum who would rent them to forum members or has there been any interest generated in setting something up like that, where the tool can be rented by forum members who can leave a returnable deposit for such tool?

Berg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question does getting this work done prevent the spark plug poping out issue?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more than likely...no...sheduled maintenance is 100,000 miles...helps with not having misfires...and other probs that may happen...one thing for sure...helps from them breaking off...well maybe...idk...lol...i paid to get it done....lol

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, they don't pop out anymore. They now just like to stay in.

If I had the issue, I would make sure to follow the current TSB. I know many people have had good luck following it over on the other forum. Also, before buy a new tool, I would look around the various Ford forums and ebay/craigslist for a used tool. Once you are done with it, you could list it up for sale.