08-10 Ford Expedition radio/gps wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brhulen

Reaction score
Gary,
The other unit you are referring to is an ACM (audio control module). And that is probably the culprit. The local Ford dealership was going to replace the roof satellite antenna if it was bad but as it turned out it was the ACM which had failed. So the satellite antenna must be available.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gary,
The other unit you are referring to is an ACM (audio control module). And that is probably the culprit. The local Ford dealership was going to replace the roof satellite antenna if it was bad but as it turned out it was the ACM which had failed. So the satellite antenna must be available.
Many thanks for the information, have bought a new Ford radio, will also fit the new satelite antenna and then if it still doesn’t work will see Ford about the ACM. I did see a Ford TSB from some time ago, suggesting reprogramming the ACM to avoid Satelite fault messages (which is what I am seeing) so this only convinces me even more that the ACM is the issue not the antenna or radio, but as I have bought spare parts for both and my navigation unit has been giving error messages for several years, it seems sensible to fit the new parts and then get the ACM checked/fixed.

brhulen

Reaction score
Gary,
When mine failed, the Sirius radio indicated faulty antenna. Initially the channels would fade in and out and then finally quit completely. Also the GPS was off by about 100 miles! Again they replaced the ACM and all was well however I did have to contact Sirius and they had to reset the sat radio which was another $15. Best of luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many thanks, I replaced the antenna and no change, I then replaced the radio and still no change, still get the satellite fault error message. If I wait a while (anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour) thé satellite radio starts working, but if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on, I get the satellite fault message and have to wait again befor the satellite radio starts working. Searching on the WEB. it seems Ford issued a TSB a long time ago for this sort of issue and it was related to the ACM, I will book the car in at Ford to have them look at the issue and share the TSB with them, maybe I will get lucky and just need the ACM reprogramming rather than replacing..

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The satellite radio module is under the console, and the rooftop antenna runs to that. If I remember correctly there is a short jumper in that antenna wiring, so check the connectors on that also. The GPS antenna (which sits under the dash and is access able when the radio is removed) plugs into the back of the radio.

If the GPS is giving you problems, I believe that would rule out the satellite module under the console as the radio unit can be programmed to function without satellite radio, unless you have more than one problem.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The satellite radio module is under the console, and the rooftop antenna runs to that. If I remember correctly there is a short jumper in that antenna wiring, so check the connectors on that also. The GPS antenna (which sits under the dash and is access able when the radio is removed) plugs into the back of the radio.

If the GPS is giving you problems, I believe that would rule out the satellite module under the console as the radio unit can be programmed to function without satellite radio, unless you have more than one problem.
Thé GPS is not giving me any satellite issues, the DVD reader often gives an error message (I suspect the dvd reader is just worn out after 14 years of use. The Sirius radio is the only thing reporting satellite issues.
regards Gary