Radio upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve a 2009 Eddie Bauer with 6 disc changer, sync included. Rear radio controls too.

I want to change it to navigation and keep the built in microphone and steering wheel controls if possible. Is there a decent aftermarket that will work or a ford upgrade option?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to change it to navigation and keep the built in microphone and steering wheel controls if possible. Is there a decent aftermarket that will work or a ford upgrade option?

I am not affiliated with them at all,
Crutchfield.com has the answers you are looking for. Call their 1 800# and they will explain what you can and can't do with your vehicles audio system.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
One option is going aftermarket with an Android head unit. My 2007 didn't have sync or steering wheel controls so that wasn't a concern, although I believe you can still retain the factory steering wheel controls. The good and bad of Android is that you pick your own apps. I run Forscan, Waze, Prime Video, YouTube, etc as well as adding a backup camera. It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay, but I haven't even tried those features yet The bad is that you have to set all this up and get all the Android apps to play nice with each other.

Still it was an economical upgrade that really modernized the look of my 2007.

Atoto_Agama.jpg

reklaw

Reaction score
You can see what I did at the thread I have linked below. My King Ranch only had the stock CD player in it.
As Yupster Dog stated above, crutchfield is your friend. They will show you what you need to keep your steering wheel controls and whatever else. I do however believe that they say the 11 inch Alpine will not fit but I got the measurements to make sure it wouldn't block the vents and bought it then anyway and I'm very happy with it.

cilynx

Reaction score
If you're up for an adventure, KSPIV makes a big-screen Android unit that looks like it belongs in the dash. For basic functionality, it's plug and play. For more advanced features, you'll be fiddling around with it quite a bit. I'm documenting my progress with one here:
kspiv.jpg

Reaction score
I had the same in my 2010 Eddie Bauer. I purchased a JVC unit that has wireless Carplay and Android Auto along with the harnesses and Maestro unit that let's you use the sync and steering wheel controls. I bought it from Crutchfield and put it in myself. I love it. Ran me about $600.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 9

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most any aftermarket head unit from a major manufacturer can do the job, when combined with an iDatalink Maestro to communicate with the vehicle. For Nav, you'll likely have to use the magnetic antenna that comes with the head unit. The clip microphone will probably also be required, as well as soldering a standard RCA video cable end onto the factory back-up camera wires. I use a Kenwood DDX-9702 deck. It gives me access to many gauges that are not normally visible to the driver, such as exhaust temp and all 4 tire pressures on a single screen. You can also read check engine codes, as well as reset them via the head unit. To me, it was well worth the effort.